Aluminium compound causes cancer?

In summary, the conversation discussed the concern over the use of aluminum compounds in deodorants and antiperspirants and whether they are dangerous for the skin. While there were theories about the potential risks, it is now believed that the form, route of administration, and absorption into the body do not pose any significant danger. The FDA has also ruled that there is no evidence to support these concerns.
sniffer
whenever i use deodorant (any brand of deodorant), i always see similar aluminium compound- i cannot remember the name. is this metal compound dangerous for the skin? :frown:

i am not chemist, and i know very little about chemistry.

Biology news on Phys.org
Hmm I can't really picture what you are talking about. What sparked this idea? Perhaps a web page or article that could give us more information?

Commonly, the anti-perspirant ingredient is Aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly.

Ah I understand now. I thought you meant a visible piece of metal lol. You learn something every day.

There was at one time a theory that the aluminum compounds found in deodorants/anti-perspirants could lead to the development of diseases such as Alzheimer's or other nervous system alterations. While aluminum in certain forms is a known central nervous system toxicant, it is now believed that the form of the metal, route of adminstration, absorption into the human body and other factors do not combine to result in any risk to the user. This abstract links to a rather large and drawn-out disussion on the issue (click box just above title), but the general ruling by the FDA is found in the first sentence.

coincidence that the OP's username is "sniffer"? :)

1. Does aluminium compound cause cancer?

There is no definitive answer as to whether aluminium compound causes cancer. Some studies have suggested a possible link between exposure to aluminium compounds and certain types of cancer, while others have found no evidence of a connection.

2. What types of cancer can be caused by aluminium compound?

There is no specific type of cancer that has been definitively linked to aluminium compound. However, some studies have suggested a potential link with breast cancer and bladder cancer.

3. How does aluminium compound potentially cause cancer?

The exact mechanism by which aluminium compound may cause cancer is not fully understood. Some theories suggest that it may disrupt the body's natural ability to repair damaged DNA, leading to mutations that can contribute to the development of cancer.

4. Is there a safe level of exposure to aluminium compound?

The current scientific consensus is that there is no safe level of exposure to any potential carcinogen, including aluminium compound. However, the amount of exposure and the duration of exposure may play a role in the potential risk of developing cancer.

5. Should I be concerned about using products containing aluminium compound?

As there is no definitive link between aluminium compound and cancer, it is ultimately a personal decision whether or not to use products containing this compound. If you have concerns, you may want to limit your exposure or opt for alternative products. It is also important to follow proper safety precautions, such as using protective equipment, when working with aluminium compound in an occupational setting.