Am I being over-protective?

• Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date
In summary, a man becomes concerned when his girlfriend becomes close friends with a seemingly introverted guy and starts spending a lot of time together. The man confronts his girlfriend about his concerns and they come to an agreement to limit their interactions with this guy. However, the girlfriend still maintains some contact with him despite the man's objections, leading to a heated argument. The man questions if he is being over-protective, but ultimately believes he has the right to act the way he did. The conversation ends with the man being advised to seek counseling for his anger and control issues.
rewebster said:
you're playing a dangerous game ----if she sees through what you're doing/thinking, how can she trust you?
What game? He said he wishes the creep that's been hitting on his girlfriend would back off.

Physics news on Phys.org
DanP said:
I hear you, only I can't relate, at least not totally . For me blood stands above everything else(save SO, which is not blood, but its up there with blood. I guess this is called conjugal family in English) . My closest friends (which are very few and as you said the bond was made during decades) are maybe part of an "extended family", In not sure I use the proper term in English her. In a word I have a internal hierarchy for all my close social relations. In the day to day life this hierarchy doesn't mean much, it's pretty much transparent. The consequence however is that my expectations from them are slightly lower, and if need to choose ever arise, Ill choose blood without as much as a blink.

Its very nice you guys do this. I guess it has its value.

I wouldn't have mentioned it if I thought it didn't have value. :biggrin: You choose blood relatedness over non-blood relatedness. I prefer to choose both. Let's expand this topic of family a tiny inch more. Think about how many people have lost their entire blood related family as a result of a war.

Evo said:
What game? He said he wishes the creep that's been hitting on his girlfriend would back off.

why is the creep hitting on his GF in the first place?

She must have given him some 'sign' that its ok to continue. She sounds like she maybe just be playing the field looking for someone maybe more interesting and less controlling.

To me, it sounds like neither one has trust in the other; and, at best, its about insecurity and manipulation on his part---as we're getting only his side of the story.

Mentallic said:
You're right. I couldn't check up for 2 days now and there's another 2 pages to read through. I'll get to it when I have the time.

Right now, there's another issue which she is burdened with. Her long time best friend which I mentioned a couple of times that said he liked her recently, well he's stopped talking to her now. He's shut himself out of her life completely and she is saddened by this.

I understand why he's doing it though. It can be too overbearing at times to like a girl that you can't have and so the easiest way is to not see her at all.
This is what I wanted that guy that tried to ask my girlfriend out to do, I wanted her to become detached from him so he can get over her. Except for her really good friend... I like the guy, and know him fairly well so I trust him with her much more than I trust the other.

My suggestion is get off of the *emotional* rollercoaster ride that other individuals are creating. Temporarily detach yourself from the situation. Relax and have some fun. Try not to worry. Sometimes time itself resolves the problem. :smile:

ViewsofMars said:
My suggestion is get off of the *emotional* rollercoaster ride that other individuals are creating. Temporarily detach yourself from the situation. Relax and have some fun. Try not to worry. Sometimes time itself resolves the problem. :smile:

I agree---

she started seeing him (Mentallic) for some reason(s)-----'doubt' about things can be snowballing effect...

Evo said:

Men hit on women. Women hit on men. It makes no difference whatsoever the girl is in a relation or not. If she is willing to pursue a relation, who cares she already has a boyfriend ?
I think is unfair to expect man or women not to hit on ppl who are already involved in a relation.

DanP said:
Men hit on women. Women hit on men. It makes no difference whatsoever the girl is in a relation or not. If she is willing to pursue a relation, who cares she already has a boyfriend ?
I think is unfair to expect man or women not to hit on ppl who are already involved in a relation.

Is it unfair to expect the boyfriend not to take action against this intruder?

Perhaps the ideal course of action is not to restrict the girlfriend in this situation. Perhaps the ideal course is to make this new guy wish he'd never seen her.

DanP said:

Evo, didn't even one man 'flirt'/'hit on you' when you were married?

Char. Limit said:

He can take whatever course of action he wants. Up to and including - breaking the bones (or at least trying) of the one who is hitting on his girlfriend. Choose, act and live with the consequences.

Last edited:
DanP said:
He cant take whatever course of action he wants. Up to and including - breaking the bones (or at least trying) of the one who is hitting on his girlfriend. Choose, act and live with the consequences.

Can't or can? Can agrees with the context, but can't looks more like the word in question.

Char. Limit said:
Can't or can? Can agrees with the context, but can't looks more like the word in question.

"can". Typo

TheStatutoryApe said:
I do not mean "sexual intent" if you mean an intention to have sex with the person, just perceiving the person in a sexual context. Obviously if you are friends with anyone you are "attracted" to them. The only difference is when that person is of the gender you prefer you may perceive them sexually which will colour your attraction.

The first time someone told me about this idea I first thought it was silly but as I thought about it I realized that I was definitely attracted to the majority of my female friends and that I was not really sure if those I was not attracted to might be attracted to me. I even found out recently that a gay friend of mine from high school had a crush on me. I see it everywhere. I have had several people tell me that they have utterly "platonic" relationships but in every case where I actually knew the person to whom they referred I knew it was not true. The only exceptions I have found have been relationships that were 'cemented' over long periods of time or influenced by cultural norms (such as family* and cases of large age differences).

* a cousin of mine and I had huge crushes on each other when we were younger but got over it because we were cousins. We eventually confessed to one another and then found out a few years later that we are not even blood related. :-/

I don't know. This hypothesis doesn't seem to fit my experience. Ignore expectations while respecting boundaries and platonic friendships seem easy. It's not worth investing the energy into a relationship hoping it will become sexual when there is no indication that the other person is interested. Save the energy for someone who is interested. There are other choices besides infatuation or homosexuality.

It's not the warning shot that ends the friendship. It's when the friendship is used as a hostage that it gets sunk with the infatuation.

Char. Limit said:

Perhaps the ideal course of action is not to restrict the girlfriend in this situation. Perhaps the ideal course is to make this new guy wish he'd never seen her.

Yeah, the Geiko approach to romance. You can pick any girl you want, beat up any guy who shows interest, and eventually she'll be so intimidated she'll stick with you. It could work. Or you could end up in jail. Or beaten up yourself. In any event, the fact you want her means anyone elses wishes are irrelevant. So easy even a cave man can understand it.

The problem, if it even is a problem, arose here because Mentallic doesn't understand his girlfriend. She's hanging around with this other guy because she can manifest a side of herself to him that Mentallic doesn't recognize or know how to address.

I say "if it even is a problem" because I'm not persuaded the girlfriend has any sexual interest in the other guy. She's undoubtedly primarily interested in being able to relax and talk to him in a way she can't with Mentallic. As others have warned, Mentallic's jealous behavior is the worst threat to his relationship.

My own experience is that, when I had the equanimity to give my girlfriends wide space to be friends with all other guys, they always came back to me. When I felt possessive and jealous, it drove them away. It's a trivial Chinese Finger puzzle situation.

Cavemen have a hard time with this, but the question to ask yourself if your girl seems to be enjoying a warm, intimate conversation with another guy is "What is he doing right that I am not doing?"

Huckleberry said:
I don't know. This hypothesis doesn't seem to fit my experience. Ignore expectations while respecting boundaries and platonic friendships seem easy. It's not worth investing the energy into a relationship hoping it will become sexual when there is no indication that the other person is interested. Save the energy for someone who is interested. There are other choices besides infatuation or homosexuality.

It's not the warning shot that ends the friendship. It's when the friendship is used as a hostage that it gets sunk with the infatuation.

I'm not really sure what you are getting at. I am saying that people are attracted to one another. When people are friends it is most likely because they are attracted to one another. It doesn't mean anything, attraction is natural. I think that the only real problem with a man and woman being friends is that most people do not know how to maturely handle sex and sexual attraction. Being sexually attracted to someone does not necessitate attempts to have sex with the person and being friends with someone should not make you put your head in the sand and pretend like everything is perfectly chaste and pure between you two, that neither of you could possibly ever even think of the other in such a manner. It is naive and immature to pretend like people do not have libidos, and it is very likely this sort of mentality of ignoring such elements in a relationship that make it difficult for males and females to be friends. I am not saying that men and women who are friends are just waiting for a chance to jump each other. I have had plenty of female friends, most of them I was attracted to, I never felt the need to try to get in their pants (though it may have happened once or twice).

zoobyshoe said:
She's undoubtedly primarily interested in being able to relax and talk to him in a way she can't with Mentallic.
Yes she can talk to him in a way that she can't with me because of my disinterest for her taste in music and clothing. She can do the same with her other friends as well, and she does. That is what friends do...
But you make it sound as though I'm so controlling of her every-day actions that I have her chained up in the basement. This was the first time I went off in such a way in front of her, by which point this guy was already knee deep in her life. And since me and her share so much, as consequence, he is effectively a part of my life as well. And since I don't like it, I felt no choice but to tell him to back off.

zoobyshoe said:
My own experience is that, when I had the equanimity to give my girlfriends wide space to be friends with all other guys, they always came back to me. When I felt possessive and jealous, it drove them away. It's a trivial Chinese Finger puzzle situation.
And what about the third possibility that you let her be friends with a guy that's attempting to steal her from you? The hope is that she'll follow the same pattern and still come back...

They say if you love something set it free :)

zoobyshoe said:
Cavemen have a hard time with this, but the question to ask yourself if your girl seems to be enjoying a warm, intimate conversation with another guy is "What is he doing right that I am not doing?"

Actually, no you don't to this. If your women has a repeatedly intimate conversations with a man, and this bothers you, you simply tell her nicely that you do not consider her behavior appropriate. If she choose to ignore this, you leave her. Never stay in a relation where you are unhappy and causes you major emotional turmoils. Life is too short for such non-sense.

Mentallic said:
And since me and her share so much, as consequence, he is effectively a part of my life as well. And since I don't like it, I felt no choice but to tell him to back off.

Mentallic, let me try to make it simple for you.

1. You never let yourself again so controlled by events that you lower yourself again to check her phone, her life and this like this.

2. You tell her nicely what you consider is a good/healthy relationship and ask her if you too can make it work.

3. If she believes that you are wrong and she should continue what she does despite the fact it causes issues to you and hurts her relationship with you, you leave her. No drama, no
guilt assigning. Just leave, and don't look back. She doesn't care enough about you anyway to negotiate the relation, so it doesn't worth wasting your time with her. Relation gone south doesn't worth to be "saved".

Of course, you must do what you consider to be the proper course of action, not what any of us tell you.

Last edited:
Ya but good luck finding a better woman after...

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, the Geiko approach to romance. You can pick any girl you want, beat up any guy who shows interest, and eventually she'll be so intimidated she'll stick with you. It could work. Or you could end up in jail. Or beaten up yourself. In any event, the fact you want her means anyone elses wishes are irrelevant. So easy even a cave man can understand it.

Actually, there is a fine border between aggression and assertiveness. Sitting like a kitty and taking all the **** is not good, nor is to let events transform you into a drama queen who checks phones records, phone bills, e-mails and make an all around emo circus.

But there is nothing bad in telling a 3rd party to back off. Pretty firmly for that matter. There is nothing bad in being assertive.

Mentallic said:
Yes she can talk to him in a way that she can't with me because of my disinterest for her taste in music and clothing. She can do the same with her other friends as well, and she does. That is what friends do...
I don't think it's the music and clothing per se. Those things are always outward manifestations of a whole inner attitude, and it is your disinterest in that inner something that would make her go elsewhere for stimulation.

It is not a failing on your part that you don't automatically overlap with her on all matters. But the fact she's going elsewhere to be that side of herself is causing you distress. I think you have two choices: laissez faire, or, do some serious studying up on what it is this guy allows her to be and take on that role yourself.

But you make it sound as though I'm so controlling of her every-day actions that I have her chained up in the basement. This was the first time I went off in such a way in front of her, by which point this guy was already knee deep in her life. And since me and her share so much, as consequence, he is effectively a part of my life as well. And since I don't like it, I felt no choice but to tell him to back off.
My tone was aimed at Char Limit, not you. He was suggesting a good solution would be to get really heavy handed with the other guy.

And what about the third possibility that you let her be friends with a guy that's attempting to steal her from you? The hope is that she'll follow the same pattern and still come back...
I've had experience both with getting very jealous and feeling a high level of equanimity. The equanimity always worked vastly better. The jealousy never worked.

Equanimity has to be sincere. It's not something you can "try" or fake. You really have to arrive at a state of mind where you can calmly let the girl go if she decides she wants to go.

I always feel there's a big side and a small side to my feelings for a woman. The small side is my purely selfish need for the way they make me feel: validating me as a man, soothing my ego, being my trophy. The big side is the altruistic, unselfish side: admiration for them as a person, a kind of rejoicing when they seem to be flourishing, pride when they accomplish something, sadness when things go wrong for them.

I've often had to take stock, put the small side at arms length, and look at the whole situation from a big side perspective and realize that, I, myself, am sometimes the reason this person can't flourish. I am not the right person to stimulate some vein of interest that's important to them and I might be diminishing them by squelching their every attempt to grow along those lines with dismissive remarks and changing the subject. Additionally, I might be stunting their emotional life by forcing everything to take place in terms I can handle, that I'm comfortable with.

Seeing a girlfriend having a warm, fluent, animated conversation with another guy is a sure symptom of this. That guy often looks like a devious snake in the tree offering her sweet fruit, but the truth is he's merely very relaxed, non-judgemental, and enjoying the conversation for whatever transitory pleasures he might get out of it. He's not steering the conversation away from her music, or any subject, just letting it all wash over him.

You, the boyfriend, see that happening and the blood may come to your face and you feel like punching him in the nose. Alternately, in a moment of big side detachment you may realize that what's important here is that there's a whole side to her that you have not seen, not encouraged, not realized. And that it's attractive.

So, when I have the presence of mind and equanimity, I let my girlfriends hang out with anyone they want, whenever they want, partly because I would feel rotten if I were the one who was stifling them, and partly because they return to me more alive because they feel attractive and interesting.

Every time I've reacted to a new girlfriend with possessive jealousy it ended up aborting the relationship really quickly. They just picked up and left. I never crossed any lines, either, just verbally expressed my anguish over them paying too much attention to other guys right in front of me, or just that they didn't spend enough time with me. No yelling or arguing, just a low key revelation that I had become a mass of needy insecurity.

I think the reason the ones I gave free reign always stuck with me was because my detachment, equanimity read as solid confidence in myself and super-security. Girls love that. The fact of the matter is 100% of the guys they hung out with were trying to steal them away. I know this because they would come back and give me detailed reports of various things the guys tried and said, sometimes very good attempts, sometimes "That Final Awkward Moment" stories. We'd laugh together about it, and I always felt privy to real inside information about what it must be like to be a woman and get hit on all the time from every angle. These stories always held me rapt, and they're some of my best memories. It was where they stopped being my "girlfriend" and became my best friend, telling me about wonderful adventures I couldn't possibly participate in myself.

I really believe most girls do not like promiscuity and will go far not to cheat in sex. Promiscuous girls, and there are some, all have something psychologically wrong with them which causes behavior that is outside the norm for females. This is hard for men to grasp because men are hardwired to be promiscuous. We project our own proclivities onto women, when the fact is they actually don't much have those proclivities. Generally speaking, once a girl starts to have sex with a guy, she want to limit herself to only having sex with that guy. She may see 40 guys a day who sexually excite her but she'll stick pretty rigidly to the guy she's invested in when it comes to actually having sex. That's why when this guy said you were foolish to get upset because you'd already "won", he was pretty much right. If she had a promiscuous streak, you'd know it by now. Since she doesn't, it is, as a rule of thumb at least, going to be a lot harder for any man to get her to cheat on you sexually than you imagine.

Regardless, there is always the chance she won't come back or will cheat on you. Having equanimity means you're psychologically prepared for that; being in a state of mind where that's not going to shatter your world.

That may seem absurd, I don't know, but I think what you might need to appreciate it would be to be on the receiving end of relationship where the girl was jealous of you, keeping track of all your moves, always hovering, checking your facebook all the time, calling you every ten minutes, going purple in the face when you looked at other girls, etc. A good dose of that and you'd be way more lenient in all future relationships.

Bottom line is jealously doesn't work, and you feel like crap on top of it.

DanP said:
But there is nothing bad in telling a 3rd party to back off. Pretty firmly for that matter. There is nothing bad in being assertive.
This is the right thing to do in one circumstance only: when it's what the girl is hoping you'll do. Sometimes a girl deliberately tries to get you jealous because she thinks you're not paying enough attention to her. In that case an 'assertive' response would work.

zoobyshoe said:
This is the right thing to do in one circumstance only: when it's what the girl is hoping you'll do. Sometimes a girl deliberately tries to get you jealous because she thinks you're not paying enough attention to her. In that case an 'assertive' response would work.

Not really. Being assertive is never a bad thing. It's an essential social skill. An essential negotiation skill. Humans who don't posses it have big problems in communication and making things happen. It lies in a continuum ranging from submission to passivity,assertivity and finally aggression.

It's not so important that your current relation work out. It's important to find out early if it the relation works for both of you. If not, well, there will be others.

Mentallic said:

Often the more interests are in common, the more people want to be around each other. If you don't like her music and her taste in cloths, I see that could be a problem.

Those things often are a big part of girl's identity at that age, and if you have said you don't like them, it may be interpreted by her that you don't like her as a whole person.

Other things may have been the first 'attractions'; but, if there are more and more 'differences' that come up and are not worked out together, things tend to fall apart.

How long have you two been an 'item/together' ?

TheStatutoryApe said:
I'm not really sure what you are getting at. I am saying that people are attracted to one another. When people are friends it is most likely because they are attracted to one another. It doesn't mean anything, attraction is natural. I think that the only real problem with a man and woman being friends is that most people do not know how to maturely handle sex and sexual attraction. Being sexually attracted to someone does not necessitate attempts to have sex with the person and being friends with someone should not make you put your head in the sand and pretend like everything is perfectly chaste and pure between you two, that neither of you could possibly ever even think of the other in such a manner. It is naive and immature to pretend like people do not have libidos, and it is very likely this sort of mentality of ignoring such elements in a relationship that make it difficult for males and females to be friends. I am not saying that men and women who are friends are just waiting for a chance to jump each other. I have had plenty of female friends, most of them I was attracted to, I never felt the need to try to get in their pants (though it may have happened once or twice).
(edit- bold added for emphasis.)

I have female friends that I am sexually attracted to and ones that I am not. I don't understand why sexual attraction makes a friendship more desirable if there is no intent of ever having sex, or why a friendship with someone one does not consider sexually attractive is less desirable. I agree that attraction is natural, but without sexual intent what is the purpose of filtering friends according to how sexually attractive they are? Contrary to your assumption that it doesn't mean anything, I assume the purpose of only selecting sexually attractive people for friendship is to try to win their affection in some way; an expectation of sex at some point in the relationship, or the cultivation of a personal sexual fantasy. I find those expectations create a palpable awkwardness that is detrimental to the friendship if the other person isn't interested. It's the elephant in the room every time someone mentions anything remotely sexual.

If there is no sexual component to the attraction then I don't understand what attraction has to do with platonic male/female relationships as opposed to a platonic relationship between any two people. Of course people are attracted to their friends.

Last edited:
Huckleberry said:

I have female friends that I am sexually attracted to and ones that I am not. I don't understand why sexual attraction makes a friendship more desirable if there is no intent of ever having sex, or why a friendship with someone one does not consider sexually attractive is less desirable. I agree that attraction is natural, but without sexual intent what is the purpose of filtering friends according to how sexually attractive they are? Contrary to your assumption that it doesn't mean anything, I assume the purpose of only selecting sexually attractive people for friendship is to try to win their affection in some way; an expectation of sex at some point in the relationship, or the cultivation of a personal sexual fantasy. I find those expectations create a palpable awkwardness that is detrimental to the friendship if the other person isn't interested. It's the elephant in the room every time someone mentions anything remotely sexual.

If there is no sexual component to the attraction then I don't understand what attraction has to do with platonic male/female relationships as opposed to a platonic relationship between any two people. Of course people are attracted to their friends.

well, there's a lot of men out there that think women=sex=they all want me, and a lot of women out there think men=they all want me=sex...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qv_dSdOSzv8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Qv_dSdOSzv8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
Huckleberry said:

I am not saying that people intentionally choose sexually attractive people to be friends with. I do not know why you keep reading more into what I am posting than what is there.

The likelihood is that if you see a person and desire to speak with them then you probably found that person physically attractive. If they deign to speak to you and enjoy themselves it is likely that either they found you attractive or they enjoyed the attention of an interested person. These things do not necessarily need to have happened consciously. It is quite possible that neither individual really paid much attention to why it is they enjoyed the others company, only that it was enjoyable.

Finding a person sexually attractive is not a big deal. It is only a big deal if you make it one. I see women regularly that I find sexually attractive. I do not feel any need to go after them. I probably speak to less than one percent of these women. If I do speak to them and enjoy their company I do not see that there is suddenly any reason for me to try to have sex with them or start a relationship with them. I should hope that one would hold a higher standard for whom one wishes to sleep with than that they are sexually attractive and can hold a conversation.

It would seem to be the crux of the issue of men and women feeling that they can not have 'platonic' relationships is that in most cases the 'platonic' relationship does not exist and they feel that they can not simply be friends with someone who they are attracted to or is attracted to them. Its by cultural convention that a male and female are only supposed to be friends if the relationship is platonic and so it is that many people feel this is the way their friendships ought to be. Either they deny it and pretend that neither of them has any attraction to the other (which creates tension), they hide or ignore the attraction (which creates tension), or they refuse to believe a friendship is possible (most likely due to the aforementioned sources of tension).edit: maybe I am just the most laid back horndog in the world, who knows.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I am not saying that people intentionally choose sexually attractive people to be friends with. I do not know why you keep reading more into what I am posting than what is there.

The likelihood is that if you see a person and desire to speak with them then you probably found that person physically attractive. If they deign to speak to you and enjoy themselves it is likely that either they found you attractive or they enjoyed the attention of an interested person. These things do not necessarily need to have happened consciously. It is quite possible that neither individual really paid much attention to why it is they enjoyed the others company, only that it was enjoyable.

I don't think I'm reading more into it than what you're posting. I think that if people favor sexually attractive friends then, conscious or not, sexual intention exists. An intent does not have to be conscious to manifest itself in a person's behaviour. Consciously their actions may not mean anything to them, but subconsciously there is a motive driving their actions. People aren't always aware of their motives, but there are still consequences for the conscious actions that result from those subconscious motives.

Why is talking to a woman that you are not sexually interested in less enjoyable than talking to a woman you are sexually interested in, but have no intention (conscious or otherwise) of having sex with? I assume that there is a subconscious motive that benefits from contact with sexually attractive women, or perhaps benefits by avoiding sexually unattractive women. What other reason is there for preferential treatment based on sexual attractiveness? An ego boost among other men? To gain the attention of other attractive women who see a man with an attractive female friend?

Hmm, If I ever do get married my wife will likely be absolutely hideous.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It would seem to be the crux of the issue of men and women feeling that they can not have 'platonic' relationships is that in most cases the 'platonic' relationship does not exist and they feel that they can not simply be friends with someone who they are attracted to or is attracted to them. Its by cultural convention that a male and female are only supposed to be friends if the relationship is platonic and so it is that many people feel this is the way their friendships ought to be. Either they deny it and pretend that neither of them has any attraction to the other (which creates tension), they hide or ignore the attraction (which creates tension), or they refuse to believe a friendship is possible (most likely due to the aforementioned sources of tension).
Yes, it seems there is a large percentage of people who think in absolute terms: a male/female relationship has to be sexual or platonic. In fact the dichotomy is more like 1.) sexual attraction you might act on in the right circumstances, and 2.) sexual attraction you'd probably never act on.

Some people never get sucked into believing a platonic relationship can, or should, exist and most of their friendships with the opposite sex are overtly flirtatious.

Huckleberry said:
Why is talking to a woman that you are not sexually interested in less enjoyable than talking to a woman you are sexually interested in, but have no intention (conscious or otherwise) of having sex with?
This is kind of a no-brainer, ennit? The more attractive you find the person showing interest in you, the more attractive you feel. Most of this is not about finding a sex partner per se, it's about finding where you fit in in the scheme of things.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, it seems there is a large percentage of people who think in absolute terms: a male/female relationship has to be sexual or platonic. In fact the dichotomy is more like 1.) sexual attraction you might act on in the right circumstances, and 2.) sexual attraction you'd probably never act on.

Some people never get sucked into believing a platonic relationship can, or should, exist and most of their friendships with the opposite sex are overtly flirtatious.
Both postulates presume sexual attraction exists. In my experience it does not always exist, but does not preclude friendship when absent. I suspect the dichotomy is more of a trichotomy. There seems to be at least one option missing.

Is there some kind of biological mandate that says any woman within child-bearing age not related to me must be considered sexually attractive as a requirement or consequence of friendship? I must be missing that because I do have relationships with women that I'm not sexually attracted to.

zoobyshoe said:
This is kind of a no-brainer, ennit? The more attractive you find the person showing interest in you, the more attractive you feel. Most of this is not about finding a sex partner per se, it's about finding where you fit in in the scheme of things.
If I only had a brain. Finding where one fits in the scheme of things is vague. I suspect it is more like making a place where one desires to be. No, I rarely feel more attractive talking to attractive women that choose to talk to me but show no sexual interest.

edit - It's not surprising that women don't trust men's intentions. Not only do they have to worry about every man that speaks to them thinking of them sexually, which I think most women could handle, but they have to worry that if they decide to speak back then the man will assume she is sexually interested as well. I don't harbor a desire for every woman I talk to, and every woman that talks to me doesn't desire me. Maybe people who only befriend others whom they are sexually attracted to can't or shouldn't have platonic relationships. It doesn't mean that there is no possibility that others can or should. If I'm not attracted to every woman I meet then I see no reason why I can't be friends with one of them who is also not attracted to me. I'm pretty sure I do have at least one such friend. She'll be shocked when I tell her that since I don't want her body she must want mine or we can't be friends.

Last edited:
Huckleberry said:
Consciously their actions may not mean anything to them, but subconsciously there is a motive driving their actions. People aren't always aware of their motives, but there are still consequences for the conscious actions that result from those subconscious motives.

Freud is dead and Freud was wrong.

Huckleberry said:
I don't think I'm reading more into it than what you're posting.
No?
Is there some kind of biological mandate that says any woman within child-bearing age not related to me must be considered sexually attractive as a requirement or consequence of friendship?
She'll be shocked when I tell her that since I don't want her body she must want mine or we can't be friends.
It seems you are still of the habit to at least exaggerate if nothing else.

Huck said:
I think that if people favor sexually attractive friends then, conscious or not, sexual intention exists. An intent does not have to be conscious to manifest itself in a person's behaviour. Consciously their actions may not mean anything to them, but subconsciously there is a motive driving their actions. People aren't always aware of their motives, but there are still consequences for the conscious actions that result from those subconscious motives.

Why is talking to a woman that you are not sexually interested in less enjoyable than talking to a woman you are sexually interested in, but have no intention (conscious or otherwise) of having sex with? I assume that there is a subconscious motive that benefits from contact with sexually attractive women, or perhaps benefits by avoiding sexually unattractive women. What other reason is there for preferential treatment based on sexual attractiveness? An ego boost among other men? To gain the attention of other attractive women who see a man with an attractive female friend?

Hmm, If I ever do get married my wife will likely be absolutely hideous.
It is hard to sift through them, and I have found none that are specifically about attractiveness and "first impressions" yet, but you can use google to find that there are several studies regarding the manner in which people are treated in correlation with their attractiveness. Here I found a pdf of an article (I do not have time to read the whole thing yet) that cites several studies in the opening showing "attractive" people tend to receive more positive attention.
And I never said that "unattractive" people would be avoided. A person may wind up in a conversation with a person whom they do not consider attractive but who is attracted to them and receive enjoyment from the interaction based on the attention they receive from the person.
The possibility that there is some biological driver pushing us to be more interested in associating with "attractive" people also does not necessitate that one actually wishes to have sex or a relationship with that person. As I said earlier, I do not feel a desire to have sex with every woman I see that I think looks attractive. Do you? Why does this change simply because the person is also interesting to speak to?

Huckleberry said:
Is there some kind of biological mandate that says any woman within child-bearing age not related to me must be considered sexually attractive as a requirement or consequence of friendship? I must be missing that because I do have relationships with women that I'm not sexually attracted to.
And are you sure that they are not, and have never been, attracted to you? Have none of them ever told you that they consider you a good looking man? Remember, being attracted to a person does not necessitate that you wish to bed them or date them as you likely see plenty of women you find attractive on a daily basis and most likely do nothing about it.

Huckleberry said:
If I only had a brain. Finding where one fits in the scheme of things is vague. I suspect it is more like making a place where one desires to be. No, I rarely feel more attractive talking to attractive women that choose to talk to me but show no sexual interest.

edit - It's not surprising that women don't trust men's intentions. Not only do they have to worry about every man that speaks to them thinking of them sexually, which I think most women could handle, but they have to worry that if they decide to speak back then the man will assume she is sexually interested as well. I don't harbor a desire for every woman I talk to, and every woman that talks to me doesn't desire me. Maybe people who only befriend others whom they are sexually attracted to can't or shouldn't have platonic relationships. It doesn't mean that there is no possibility that others can or should. If I'm not attracted to every woman I meet then I see no reason why I can't be friends with one of them who is also not attracted to me. I'm pretty sure I do have at least one such friend. She'll be shocked when I tell her that since I don't want her body she must want mine or we can't be friends.
I have never said it is not possible, only that I have never seen it. People have told me that they have such relationships, I have believed that I had such relationships, but in every case where I have had access to information that would say one way or another I knew otherwise. The number of people who have friends that are or were attracted to them and have no idea about it seems quite significant. I have had multiple female friends confess to me at later times that they had had an interest in me that they never voiced and which I had never had any idea of.

If you have a friend with whom you have a completely platonic relationship I am not saying it is impossible, but that it is certainly not common and quite possibly very rare. If you do speak to your friend please let us know if she says whether or not she has ever been attracted to you at all.

Huckleberry said:
Both postulates presume sexual attraction exists. In my experience it does not always exist, but does not preclude friendship when absent. I suspect the dichotomy is more of a trichotomy. There seems to be at least one option missing.
I rewrote the dichotomy specifically to exclude the fiction of the "platonic" relationship. The point was to only include those things that happen in nature.

It may be necessary to you, for the sake of your self image, to spend time with women you're not attracted to. In other words, it's may be more important to you to think of yourself as a fair minded, good, decent, caring human being than it is to pursue the women you'd really like to be talking to. Once a person thinks there can, and should be, "platonic" relationships they could easily start artificially behaving this way to prove to themselves they are not beasts, or they could start putting blinders on as prophylactics against seeing that there's a lot less Plato in male/female friendships than Pan.

Sexual attraction flows as an undercurrent that can be sensed if you pay attention but is almost never discussed because often neither party has any plans of acting on it.

There is a sort of biological mandate here: back in the day the people who were perfectly content to be platonic friends with the opposite sex ended up not passing their genes down.