Am I old to start a Masters degree in Engineering?

In summary, the individual has recently completed a BEng degree in Electronics Engineering at the age of 25 and is considering pursuing a MS in Electrical Engineering starting in 2016, which would make them 29 upon graduation. They are concerned about their age and job prospects, but it is noted that age discrimination typically occurs around 40 years old. It is also mentioned that many older individuals are returning to school due to changes in the job market and that gaining experience may be more valuable than obtaining an MS. The suggestion is made to work and pursue the MS part time.
shpongle
I have recently finished BEng degree in Electronics Engineering, I am 25 years old now. I am thinking of applying for a MS in Electrical Engineering starting in 2016, by the time I graduate I will be 29!

Is it very old, are there any chances to get employment in a related field or do employers only prefer young graduates?

Physics news on Phys.org
No it isn't too old. I'd say it's above average but when I was in graduate school we had four or five students in their late 20s (mostly ex-military),several students in their 30s and one in his 40s.

The age discrimination thing doesn't really get going until you're around 40 or so.

Likes 1 person
Try using the "Search" function. There are quite a few posts here asking this question and the answer is always no, it is not too late.

Likes 1 person
I finished my MS in electrical engineering at the age of 31. It launched me into a better job in a great field. In 2016 you'll be 29 with or without the degree, right?

Likes 1 person
With all the changes in the economy in recent years, it's not uncommon to see much older students going back to school because their previous profession is no longer in demand. There is some age discrimination, but at 29 you will still be viewed as very young compared to applicants attempting a career change in their 40s or 50s.

Likes 1 person
shpongle said:
I have recently finished BEng degree in Electronics Engineering, I am 25 years old now. I am thinking of applying for a MS in Electrical Engineering starting in 2016, by the time I graduate I will be 29!

Is it very old, are there any chances to get employment in a related field or do employers only prefer young graduates?

No way that is too old. You realize many Physics PhDs and PostDocs around that age will start looking for non academia jobs working along MEngs at that age or older.

Likes 1 person
shpongle said:

You are more likely to not be hired because you don't have experience. A 29 year old with just a Bachelors degree and 4 years of proven experience will be more valuable than a 29 year old with an MS. In that respect age is not a factor. My advice, work and do your MS part time.

Likes 1 person

1. How old is considered too old to start a Masters degree in Engineering?

There is no specific age that is considered too old to start a Masters degree in Engineering. Many individuals pursue graduate studies later in life and are successful in their programs.

2. Will my age affect my chances of being accepted into a Masters degree program in Engineering?

No, your age will not affect your chances of being accepted into a Masters degree program in Engineering. Admissions decisions are typically based on academic qualifications and relevant experience.

3. Can I balance a Masters degree in Engineering with other responsibilities, such as a full-time job or family obligations?

It is possible to balance a Masters degree in Engineering with other responsibilities, but it will require good time management skills and dedication. Many programs offer flexible scheduling options to accommodate working professionals.

4. How long does it take to complete a Masters degree in Engineering?

The length of a Masters degree program in Engineering can vary depending on the specific program and whether you are attending full-time or part-time. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a Masters degree.

5. Is it worth pursuing a Masters degree in Engineering at an older age?

That ultimately depends on your personal and career goals. A Masters degree can open up new job opportunities and increase earning potential. It is important to carefully consider the time and financial commitments before making a decision.