1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Am I old to start a Masters degree in Engineering?

1. May 8, 2014 #1
    I have recently finished BEng degree in Electronics Engineering, I am 25 years old now. I am thinking of applying for a MS in Electrical Engineering starting in 2016, by the time I graduate I will be 29!

Is it very old, are there any chances to get employment in a related field or do employers only prefer young graduates?

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2014 #2

analogdesign

Science Advisor

No it isn't too old. I'd say it's above average but when I was in graduate school we had four or five students in their late 20s (mostly ex-military),several students in their 30s and one in his 40s.

The age discrimination thing doesn't really get going until you're around 40 or so.

4. May 10, 2014 #3
    Try using the "Search" function. There are quite a few posts here asking this question and the answer is always no, it is not too late.

5. May 25, 2014 #4
    I finished my MS in electrical engineering at the age of 31. It launched me into a better job in a great field. In 2016 you'll be 29 with or without the degree, right?

6. May 28, 2014 #5
    With all the changes in the economy in recent years, it's not uncommon to see much older students going back to school because their previous profession is no longer in demand. There is some age discrimination, but at 29 you will still be viewed as very young compared to applicants attempting a career change in their 40s or 50s.

7. May 28, 2014 #6
    No way that is too old. You realize many Physics PhDs and PostDocs around that age will start looking for non academia jobs working along MEngs at that age or older.

8. May 29, 2014 #7

You are more likely to not be hired because you don't have experience. A 29 year old with just a Bachelors degree and 4 years of proven experience will be more valuable than a 29 year old with an MS. In that respect age is not a factor. My advice, work and do your MS part time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook