Am i right?Voltmeter Question: Is R Greater or Less than 5ohm?

• Thread starter Abhishekdas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltmeter
In summary, the resistance in the circuit is less than 5 ohm, as calculated using Ohm's Law and taking into account the resistance of the ammeter and voltmeter. It is important to consider the resistance of instruments when making measurements to ensure accuracy.
Abhishekdas
Voltmeter question...

Homework Statement

A student connects an Ammeter A and a Voltmeter V to measure a Resistance R as shown in attached diagram...If the Voltmeter reads 20 V and the ammeter reads 4A then R is
1. equal to5 ohm
2. Greater than 5 ohm
3. Less than 5 ohm
4. Greater than or less than 5 ohm dpending upon the direction of current

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer is number 3. Less than 5ohm But answer is 2. Gretaer than 5 ohm
...Assuming voltmeter and ammeter are non ideal the PD is still exactly 20V and current is exactly 4A now applying V=iR we get net resistance to be 5ohm but since ammeter has some resistance and total resistance is 5ohm the value of R should be less than 5ohm...This is my reasoning...

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. Your reasoning is correct, and the answer should indeed be option 3, "Less than 5 ohm." The resistance in the circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. In this case, the voltage is 20 V and the current is 4 A, so the resistance should be 20/4 = 5 ohm. However, as you mentioned, the ammeter and voltmeter also have some resistance, so the actual resistance in the circuit would be slightly less than 5 ohm.

It is important to note that the resistance of the ammeter and voltmeter should be taken into account when making measurements, as they can affect the accuracy of the readings. It is always a good practice to use instruments with low resistance when making measurements, so as to minimize any errors caused by their resistance.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Am i right?Voltmeter Question: Is R Greater or Less than 5ohm?

1. What does "Am I right?" mean in science?

In science, "Am I right?" is often used as a way to confirm whether a hypothesis or statement is accurate or correct. It is a common question that scientists ask themselves and their peers during experiments and discussions.

2. What is the significance of using a voltmeter in scientific experiments?

A voltmeter is a device used to measure electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is an important tool in scientific experiments as it allows researchers to accurately measure and monitor the flow of electricity, which is crucial in understanding various phenomena and conducting experiments.

3. How do I determine if R is greater or less than 5ohm using a voltmeter?

To determine if R (resistance) is greater or less than 5ohm using a voltmeter, you can measure the voltage across the resistor using the voltmeter. If the voltage reading is high, then the resistance is likely to be lower than 5ohm. If the voltage reading is low, then the resistance is likely to be higher than 5ohm.

4. Can a voltmeter be used to measure other quantities besides voltage?

Yes, a voltmeter can also be used to measure other quantities such as current, resistance, and continuity. Some voltmeters also have the capability to measure frequency, temperature, and capacitance.

5. Is it important to calibrate a voltmeter before use?

Yes, it is important to calibrate a voltmeter before use to ensure its accuracy. Calibration involves adjusting the voltmeter to match known voltage values. This ensures that the readings obtained from the voltmeter are precise and reliable.