Calculating Drug Amount in a Capsule with Given Density Function and Dimensions

• Thread starter DanBNyberg
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume within a capsule with specific dimensions and rounded ends. The volume is found to be 108.9mm. The second part of the question involves finding the amount of drug inside the capsule using a given density function and converting the coordinates to cylindrical polar coordinates. The conversation also suggests using integration and converting to polar coordinates for the solution.
DanBNyberg
The question is asked in 3 parts. The first asks for the volume within the capsule.

The capsule has a radius=2mm total length=10mm, each end is rounded with r=2mm.
I have found the volume to be 108.9mm

The second part of the question gives a density function of the drug inside of the capsule.
It asks for the amount of drug inside of the capsule. The funtion is:

δ(x,y,z)=1/(6pi^2cosh5)* e^(-z)/root(4-x^2-y^2)

The capsule is oriented around the z axis, centered at the origin. Can you help me find what values to use for x,y,z,? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem is probably easiest to approach using cylindrical polar co-ordinates. Try to remember how to convert x,y,x into r theta and z and the values to use should be obvious.

Is this where I chould head?
z=z
x=rcos theta
y=rsin theta

those substitutions into the denominator would give me:
root(4-(2cos theta)^2-(2sin theta)^2)
then:
root(4-4(cos^2 theta + sin^2 theta))
root(4-4(1))

I think I am off track again, I am getting root 0.

try again. Think integration rather than substituting in numbers.

Express r in terms of x and y, can you see that expression in the question?

Thanks for the help. So, I should integrate the function and convert to polar for the solution?

FAQ: Calculating Drug Amount in a Capsule with Given Density Function and Dimensions

1. How is the amount of drug in a capsule determined?

The amount of drug in a capsule is determined through a process called assay, which involves analyzing the concentration of the active ingredient in a sample of the capsule. This can be done using various analytical techniques such as high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) or spectrophotometry.

2. What factors affect the amount of drug in a capsule?

The amount of drug in a capsule can be affected by various factors such as the size and weight of the capsule, the type and potency of the drug, and the manufacturing process. Other factors that can affect the amount of drug in a capsule include storage conditions, expiration date, and handling during transportation.

3. Why is it important to have a specific amount of drug in a capsule?

Having a specific amount of drug in a capsule is important for ensuring the effectiveness and safety of the medication. Too much or too little of the active ingredient can lead to unwanted side effects or inadequate treatment. It also allows for accurate dosing and consistency in the medication's effects.

4. How is the amount of drug in a capsule regulated?

The amount of drug in a capsule is regulated by government agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in the United States. These agencies have strict guidelines and regulations in place to ensure that medications contain the correct amount of active ingredient and meet quality and safety standards.

5. Can the amount of drug in a capsule vary between different brands or manufacturers?

Yes, the amount of drug in a capsule can vary between different brands or manufacturers. This is because each company may have their own formulation and manufacturing process, which can affect the amount of drug present in the capsule. It is important to follow the dosing instructions provided by the specific brand or manufacturer to ensure proper dosage.