Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Amperage used versus amperage billed

1. Feb 12, 2014 #1
    Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and hoping someone in here can help figure out the answer to my dilemma. I'm debating whether to build a new phase converter for a 3 phase welder, or reconfigure my current welder from 230VAC to 460VAC. I know the standard equation for watts is- Watts = Volts x Amps. If I run my current single phase welder off a 460 transformer, I can reduce my amperage by half from 90 amps- maximum AC input, to 45 amps.

In short, am I going to be supplying my transformer with 45 amps as the meter sees it, or 90 amps?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2014 #2
    I'm pretty sure you'll have 90 A going into the 230 V side and 45 A coming out of the 460 V side so that the power going into the transformer is the same as the power coming out. So you'll be drawing 90 A from the meter at 230 V, and then converting that to 45 A at 460 V.

Transformers don't follow the "current in = current out" rule. If you look at a diagram for a transformer, the current on the input is completely separate from the current on the output aside from the magnetic coupling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook