Amperage used versus amperage billed

• Thread starter Matt_in_Mich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amperage
In summary, the user is debating between building a new phase converter or reconfiguring their current welder to run off 460VAC. They are seeking clarification on whether the transformer will draw 45 amps or 90 amps when converting from 230VAC to 460VAC. The transformer will draw 90 amps at 230VAC and convert it to 45 amps at 460VAC, as transformers do not follow the "current in = current out" rule.
Matt_in_Mich
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, and hoping someone in here can help figure out the answer to my dilemma. I'm debating whether to build a new phase converter for a 3 phase welder, or reconfigure my current welder from 230VAC to 460VAC. I know the standard equation for watts is- Watts = Volts x Amps. If I run my current single phase welder off a 460 transformer, I can reduce my amperage by half from 90 amps- maximum AC input, to 45 amps.

In short, am I going to be supplying my transformer with 45 amps as the meter sees it, or 90 amps?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure you'll have 90 A going into the 230 V side and 45 A coming out of the 460 V side so that the power going into the transformer is the same as the power coming out. So you'll be drawing 90 A from the meter at 230 V, and then converting that to 45 A at 460 V.

Transformers don't follow the "current in = current out" rule. If you look at a diagram for a transformer, the current on the input is completely separate from the current on the output aside from the magnetic coupling.

1. What is "Amperage used versus amperage billed"?

"Amperage used versus amperage billed" is a concept that compares the amount of electric current (measured in amperes or amps) that is consumed by a device to the amount of current that is being billed by the electric company.

2. How is "Amperage used versus amperage billed" calculated?

The calculation for "Amperage used versus amperage billed" is determined by dividing the total number of kilowatt-hours (kWh) used by the device by the number of hours it was used, and then multiplying that number by the amperage rating of the device. This will give you the amperage used. Then, you can compare this to the amperage that is being billed by the electric company.

3. Why is "Amperage used versus amperage billed" important?

Understanding "Amperage used versus amperage billed" is important because it can help you determine if your devices are using more electricity than they should be, and if you are being charged accurately by the electric company. It can also help you identify and reduce energy waste, leading to cost savings.

4. What factors can affect "Amperage used versus amperage billed"?

Several factors can affect "Amperage used versus amperage billed", including the efficiency of the device, the voltage of the electricity supply, and any power factor corrections that may have been applied. Weather conditions, such as extreme temperatures, can also impact the amount of electricity a device uses.

5. How can you improve your "Amperage used versus amperage billed" ratio?

To improve your "Amperage used versus amperage billed" ratio, you can take steps to increase the efficiency of your devices, such as regularly maintaining them, using energy-efficient models, and turning them off when not in use. You can also monitor your electricity usage and make adjustments to reduce waste. Additionally, considering renewable energy sources may also help decrease your overall amperage usage and reduce your electric bill.