Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law

In summary, it is possible to derive Ampere's Law (circuital) using the Biot Savart Law and elementary calculus by considering a simple case of a current carrying wire and using vector calculus and Stokes' theorem. However, this is only applicable to highly-symmetric configurations and a clearer and better derivation can be found in any introductory physics textbook.
anantchowdhary
Is it possible to derive Ampere's Law(circuital) using the Biot Savart Law and elementary calculus?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ampere's Law is equivalent to the conservation of charge i.e. the continuity equation.

Can you provide the derivation please..

thanks

Please help me! :D

You can derive it with vector calculus, but definitely not only with elementary calculus. But with elementary calculus it's possible to derive a simple special case of Ampere's circuital law, namely that for a closed path around a current carrying wire. There may be other (highly-symmetric) configurations for which Ampere's law can be derived from Biot-Savart, but I can't think of any at present.

For the case of the current carrying wire, the magnetic field at a distance r from the wire can be found by Biot-Savart law and is given as [tex]\frac{I}{2\pi r}[/tex]. This itself can be derived by considering a particular setup, that of a current flowing upwards in a wire aligned along the z-axis towards z. By the Biot-Savart law:

[tex]d\textbf{B} = \frac{\mu_0 Id\textbf{L} \times \textbf{r}}{4\pi r^3}[/tex].
For this setup, [tex]d\textbf{L} = dz \textbf{k} \ \mbox{and} \ \textbf{r} = x\textbf{i} + y\textbf{j} + z\textbf{k}[/tex] and this makes the numerator of the dB expression [tex](x\textbf{j} - y\textbf{i})dz[/tex] by the cross product.

So integrating the above from -infinity to +infinity along the z-axis of current flow gives:

[tex]\frac{I\mu_0}{4\pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{-y}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}} \textbf{i} + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{x}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{3/2}} \textbf{j}[/tex]

This reduces to the following after substituting for the limits of the integral expression:

[tex]\frac{I\mu_0}{2\pi} \left( -\frac{y}{x^2+y^2} \textbf{i} + \frac{x}{x^2+y^2} \textbf{j}\right)[/tex].

And the magnitude of the vector to be [tex]\frac{I\mu_0}{2\pi r}[/tex], where [tex]r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/tex].

So, with this one can prove Ampere's circuital law for the simple case of a current carrying wire. Starting with [tex]\oint \textbf{B} \cdot d\textbf{r}[/tex], note that the value of magnetic flux density does not change with the line integral around the wire at the same radius, so that means we can take B outside of the integral and the closed path integral reduces to the circumference of a circle about the wire. So this means that [tex]\textbf{B} \oint d\textbf{r} = B (2\pi r)[/tex]. And with the expression for B as derived above, [tex]\frac{I\mu_0}{2\pi r} 2 \pi r = I\mu_0[/tex].

You can find a clearer and better derivation for this in any introductory physics textbook.

anantchowdhary said:
Is it possible to derive Ampere's Law(circuital) using the Biot Savart Law and elementary calculus?
Thanks
Take the curl of the integral in the B-S law.
If done, carefully, this gives Maxwell's eqaution for the curl of B (for static fields).
Applying Stokes' theorem to the curl of B gives Ampere's law.

1. What is Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law?

Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire to the current and distance from the wire. It states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

2. How is Ampere's Law different from the Biot Savart Law?

Ampere's Law is a simplified version of the Biot Savart Law, which is a more general law that describes the magnetic field produced by any current distribution. Ampere's Law is only applicable to cases where the current is constant and flows in a straight line, while the Biot Savart Law can be used for more complex current distributions.

3. What are the applications of Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law?

Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law has various applications in electromagnetism, such as calculating the magnetic field of a wire, solenoid, or loop of current-carrying wire. It is also used in the design of electrical devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers.

4. Can Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a conductor?

No, Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law cannot be used to calculate the magnetic field inside a conductor because it assumes that the current is flowing outside the conductor. To calculate the magnetic field inside a conductor, we need to use a more general form of the Biot Savart Law.

5. How is Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law derived?

Ampere's Law using the Biot Savart Law is derived by combining the Biot Savart Law with the concept of symmetry. It is based on the principle that the magnetic field produced by a current element is proportional to the current element, the distance from the element, and the sine of the angle between the current element and the point at which the field is being calculated.