What is the Amplitude of a Standing Wave on a Guitar String?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum amplitude of a vibrating guitar string in its fundamental mode, with nodes at each end and a free length of 0.386 m. The maximum transverse acceleration and velocity at the middle of the string are given as 9000 m/s^2 and 3.00 m/s, respectively. The equations used to solve for the amplitude are y(x,t) = A*sin(kx)*sin(wt), dy(x,t)/dt = A*w*sin(kx)*sin(wt), and d^2y(x,t)/dt^2 = -A*w^2*sin(kx)*sin(wt). The solution involves finding the value of k using lambda = 2L
General_Sax

Homework Statement

A guitar string is vibrating in its fundamental mode, with nodes at each end. The length of the segment of the string that is free to vibrate is 0.386 m. The maximum transverse acceleration of a point at the middle of the segment is 9000 m/s^2 and the maximum transverse velocity is 3.00 m/s.

Homework Equations

y(x,t) = A*sin(kx)*sin(wt)

dy(x,t)/dt = A*w*sin(kx)*sin(wt)

d^2y(x,t)/dt^2 = -A*w^2*sin(kx)*sin(wt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I equated the max velocity with the secound derivative of the stading wave function.

3.00 = A*w*sin(kx)cos(wt)

Quick question: The x in the equation refers to the location on the string, not the
displacement of the string from equilibrium correct?

2nd question: is max velocity still at displacement = 0, and max acceleration at x =
1*amplitude?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From here I tried to solve for k, first by solving for lambda.

lambda = 2L/n

lambda = 2L (because n = 1, because (sorry) f = fundamental frequency

lambda = 0.772 m

from there I solved for k

k = 2pi/lambda

k = 8.1388 /m

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

using this I solved for w (omega) using w = v*k

I used max velocity for this equation

w = 24.417/s

now, does the fact this is MAX velocity effect the caluculation?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I failed at solving for t, and I don't want to waste your time, so I won't repeat my
attempts here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From there I subbed the values into the equation and attempted to solve for A
(amplitude).

Physics news on Phys.org
I've thought about this question a little more. If velocity and acceleration are maxed, then the cos/sin values must be equal to one. So, I've done this work:

1: A*w = 3.00
2: A*w^2 = 9000

1: w = 3.00/A

subbing into 2

A*(3.00/A)^2 = 9000

then:

9.00/A = 9000

A = 9.00/9000

A = 0.00100m = 1.00*10^-3 m

Does this look correct to you learned folk? I only ask because there is no answer in the textbook.

It is correct, as both the maximum acceleration and maximum speed occurs at the same place, at the middle of the string. Was it the maximum amplitude the question?

ehild

Oh, yes it was, sorry. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the definition of amplitude in a standing wave?

The amplitude of a standing wave is the maximum displacement or distance from the equilibrium point of the wave. In other words, it is the height of the wave at its highest point.

2. How is the amplitude of a standing wave related to its energy?

The amplitude of a standing wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that the higher the amplitude, the more energy the wave carries.

3. Can the amplitude of a standing wave change over time?

No, the amplitude of a standing wave remains constant over time. This is because the amplitude is determined by the initial conditions and properties of the medium in which the wave propagates.

4. What factors affect the amplitude of a standing wave?

The amplitude of a standing wave is affected by the frequency and wavelength of the wave. It is also influenced by the properties of the medium, such as its density and stiffness.

5. How is the amplitude of a standing wave measured?

The amplitude of a standing wave can be measured by taking the distance between the highest and lowest points of the wave. This is also known as the peak-to-peak amplitude.