How do I solve for the area and volume of a cosinusoidal curve?

• Thread starter pig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses a graph of a part of a cosine curve and the questions of calculating the area between the curve and the x axis and the volume of the body created by rotating the curve around the y axis. The solution is 12/pi for the area and there is a suggestion to use integration by parts to find the volume. The link provided helps with the integration of arccos(x)dx.
pig
I have the attached graph, a part of a cosinusoidal curve (not sure if this is a correct translation).

I don't have the function, but if I am correct:

y = 3 cos (x*pi/2)

The questions are:

a) Calculate the area between that part of the curve and the x axis.
b) Calculate the volume of the body created by rotating the part of the curve around the y axis.

a) No problem here.

P = 2 * integral from 0 to 1 of 3cos(xpi/2) dx

I got the solution 12/pi.

b) I got this far:

To calculate the volume I need the area of the circles which constitute the body. To get that, I need to express x in terms of y.

y = 3 cos (x*pi/2)
arccos(y/3) = x*pi/2
x = (2/pi)arccos(y/3)

The area is: P = x^2*pi

So the volume is:

V = integral from 0 to 3 of [(2/pi)arccos(y/3)]^2*pi dy

Let I = integral of [(2/pi)arccos(y/3)]^2*pi dy

I = integral of (4/pi)arccos^2(y/3) dy
I = (4/pi) integral of arccos^2(y/3) dy

substitute t = y/3, dt = dy/3, dy=3dt

I = (12/pi) integral of arccos^2(t) dt

I don't know how to integrate this. Anyone able to help?

Attachments

• graph.bmp
    6.5 KB · Views: 530
Physics news on Phys.org
that was fast! thanks a lot :)

by the way, is there a way for me to calculate it myself that i should have thought of?

Last edited:
If you know how to differentiate arccos(x), you could try integration by parts and using some trigonometric identities?!

The whole problem was that I didn't know how to integrate arccos(x)dx. I didn't immediately think of dividing it into arccos(x)*1dx and using partial integration.. Stupid, I know :)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is used to calculate the accumulation of a quantity or the total change in a function over a specific interval.

2. Why can't I solve this particular integral?

There are many factors that can make an integral difficult to solve, such as the complexity of the function, the limits of integration, or the lack of known techniques to solve it. It is important to carefully analyze the integral and try different methods before concluding that it is unsolvable.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve an integral?

While some integrals can be solved using a calculator, there are many that require manual calculation or the use of more advanced techniques. It is always recommended to understand the concepts behind integration before relying on a calculator.

4. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

Practice is key when it comes to improving your integration skills. You can start by solving simpler integrals and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to review different integration techniques and their applications.

5. Are there any resources available for solving difficult integrals?

Yes, there are many resources available for solving difficult integrals, such as online integral calculators, textbooks, and online forums where you can ask for help. It is important to use these resources as a guide and not rely solely on them for solving integrals.