1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An integral

1. Nov 21, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Does anyone know how to do this integral? Mapple just thinks and think and never gives an answer. I couldn't find a primitive in a table either.

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{+\infty}\frac{r^4\sin^3\theta}{(c+br\cos\theta+(\sin^2\theta )r^2)^3}drd\theta[/tex]

In one attempt, I used a table to reduce the r integral to

[tex]\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_0^{+\infty}\frac{\sin^3\theta}{(c+br\cos\theta+(\sin^2\theta) r^2)^3}dr[/tex]

But what's the integral of that? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Complete the square within the denominator with rcos(theta) as one of your terms within that square.
    Then, make a change of variables from theta to cos(theta) (i.e, integrate from 1 to -1); probably, you need to use partial fractions decomposition.

You'll end up (hopefully!) with a rational function in r, which you then are to integrate with respect to r.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?