1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

An Introduction to Thermal Physics by Schroder - any thoughts

1. Dec 17, 2012 #1
    Hi! I'll be covering the above book next semester and was wondering if there is anything I should be particularly aware of about thermal physics.
    -aLearner

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2012 #2
    I would read the appendices. I found them very helpful. Also, that book f***ing rules.

4. Dec 17, 2012 #3

ZombieFeynman

Gold Member

I think that the mathematics in thermal and statistical physics at the level of Schroeder is quite easy. Some derivatives, a logarithm or two (thousand), etc. I would review basic counting (cominatorics) and combinatoric probability. I would also refamiliarize yourself with the ideal gas law. It would benefit you to also review some basic concepts of magnetism (for example, you should know what susceptibility is and know what paramagnetism is) as well as very baby quantum mechanics (the harmonic oscillator and square well energy levels for example, nothing too complicated). Review baby fluid mechanics and pressure.

5. Dec 18, 2012 #4
    get another book to supplement it. there are no worked examples, and he leaves many crucial concepts for the problems, which your instructor may not assign.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook