An Ion passing through an electric and magnetic field

In summary, a singly charged proton ion of 7Li with a mass of 1.16E-26 kg is accelerated through a potential difference of 165 kV in the positive x-direction. It then enters a uniform magnetic field with a magnitude of 0.325 T in the negative z-direction. The speed of the ion can be calculated using the definition of electric potential, where the work done by the electric field is equal to the change in kinetic energy. The ion's circular path in the magnetic field will lie in the x-y plane and its direction after turning 90 degrees will be negative y.
dphysics

Homework Statement

A singly charged proton ion of 7 Li has a mass of 1.16E-26 kg. Starting from rest it is accelerated in the positive x-direction through a potential difference of 165 kV.
The ion then enters a uniform magnetic field that has magnitude 0.325 T and is directed in the negative z-direction.

(a) What is the speed of the ion when it enters the magnetic field?
(b) What is the radius of the ion's circular path in the magnetic field?
(c) In which plane will the particle's circular path in the magnetic field lie: x-z, x-y, or y-z?
(d) What is the speed of the ion after it has turned through 90 degrees in the magnetic field?
(e) What is the direction of the ion after it has turned through 90 degrees in the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

eq 1: Fb = q*vxB (charge times velocity cross product B)
eq 2: Fc = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I am completely lost as to how to start this problem.
I found the charge on the ion to be 1.26E-18 C. (7 * 1.609E-19)

Because you don't know how long the ion is in the electric field (I'm assuming that it is in an electric field?), how can you figure out the velocity? You can figure out the force, but without knowing for how long (in s) or how far (in m) the ion is in / travels in the electric field, how can you find the velocity?

For part B, once I find the force in part a, i can sub this into the equation F = (mv^2)/r

Part C, the circular orbit will be perpendicular to the magnetic field if I am not mistaken, meaning that the circular path will lie in the x-y plane.

Part D, I am not sure how to calculate this? Would you calculate the force divided by 4 us eq 2, and then calculate the velocity using equation 1?

Part E, The direction would be negative Y if I am not mistaken.

In advance, I would like to greatly thank anyone for their time / help.

Physics news on Phys.org
dphysics said:

Homework Statement

A singly charged proton ion of 7 Li has a mass of 1.16E-26 kg. Starting from rest it is accelerated in the positive x-direction through a potential difference of 165 kV.
The ion then enters a uniform magnetic field that has magnitude 0.325 T and is directed in the negative z-direction.

(a) What is the speed of the ion when it enters the magnetic field?
(b) What is the radius of the ion's circular path in the magnetic field?
(c) In which plane will the particle's circular path in the magnetic field lie: x-z, x-y, or y-z?
(d) What is the speed of the ion after it has turned through 90 degrees in the magnetic field?
(e) What is the direction of the ion after it has turned through 90 degrees in the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

eq 1: Fb = q*vxB (charge times velocity cross product B)
eq 2: Fc = (mv^2)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

For part A, I am completely lost as to how to start this problem.
I found the charge on the ion to be 1.26E-18 C. (7 * 1.609E-19)

Because you don't know how long the ion is in the electric field (I'm assuming that it is in an electric field?), how can you figure out the velocity? You can figure out the force, but without knowing for how long (in s) or how far (in m) the ion is in / travels in the electric field, how can you find the velocity?

For part B, once I find the force in part a, i can sub this into the equation F = (mv^2)/r

Part C, the circular orbit will be perpendicular to the magnetic field if I am not mistaken, meaning that the circular path will lie in the x-y plane.

Part D, I am not sure how to calculate this? Would you calculate the force divided by 4 us eq 2, and then calculate the velocity using equation 1?

Part E, The direction would be negative Y if I am not mistaken.

In advance, I would like to greatly thank anyone for their time / help.

a. Read the text carefully. The Li ion is singly charged. (Its mass number is 7.)

Remember the definition of electric potential. It is connected to the work done on unit charge. When a particle carrying q charge moves from point A to B and the potential difference is U volts between these points the work done by the electric field is W=q*U. This work will increase the kinetic energy of the particle.

b. OK.
c. Right.
d. The force is always perpendicular to the velocity. Does it change the speed?
e. No. What is the direction of the force? Draw the orbit of the ion.

ehild

Ah thanks a lot, figured it out :)

What is an ion passing through an electric and magnetic field?

An ion passing through an electric and magnetic field refers to a charged particle moving through two different types of forces: an electric force, which is caused by an electric field, and a magnetic force, which is caused by a magnetic field.

How does an ion passing through an electric and magnetic field behave?

The behavior of an ion passing through an electric and magnetic field is determined by the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields, as well as the charge and velocity of the ion. Depending on these factors, the ion may experience a force that causes it to accelerate, decelerate, or change direction.

What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

An electric field is a force field created by charged particles, such as protons and electrons, that can exert a force on other charged particles. A magnetic field, on the other hand, is created by moving charged particles and can exert a force on other moving charged particles.

How do electric and magnetic fields affect ions differently?

Electric fields primarily affect ions based on their charge, while magnetic fields primarily affect ions based on their velocity. This means that a charged ion will experience a force in an electric field, while a moving ion will experience a force in a magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of ions passing through electric and magnetic fields?

Ions passing through electric and magnetic fields are used in a variety of technologies, such as particle accelerators, mass spectrometers, and cathode ray tubes. They are also utilized in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, and in industrial processes, such as ion implantation for semiconductor manufacturing.