Analog to Digital Converter (ADC)

In summary, Selwin found the circuit on Up.Sur-la-toile.com and was asked to simplify it. He used Kirchhoff's laws to determine I7, but wasn't able to determine the relation between r and R. He asked for help, and clarified that he needed to find the equation for r in terms of R. GG
Selwin
Hello,

I do not know if it's really upper physics but I have some exercices to do and I find them a bit difficult for a beginning.

This is a circuit: http://up.sur-la-toile.com/iu7M

I'm asked to simplify it like shown on the drawing so that afterwards I get this circuit: http://up.sur-la-toile.com/iu7L

I can simplify it by following the instance but I just would like to know what formula was used to simplify the circuit.

2) Then I have to determine the relation between r and R; Va7, E and R then I'm supposed to deduce I7. This is what I've done (using Kirchhoff's laws):

I7=Va7/2(R+r) is it correct ? However, I don't see the relation between r and R except maybe: E=(R+r)i...

Thank you for any valuable help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Selwin said:
Hello,

I do not know if it's really upper physics but I have some exercices to do and I find them a bit difficult for a beginning.

Hi Selwin, welcome to PF! :smile:

This type of problem should probably be posted in the introductory section in the future.

I can simplify it by following the instance but I just would like to know what formula was used to simplify the circuit.

When going from (a) to (b), you simply use the formula for two resistors in parallel. When going from (b) to (c), you use the formula for two resistors in series...do you see why?

2) Then I have to determine the relation between r and R; Va7, E and R then I'm supposed to deduce I7. This is what I've done (using Kirchhoff's laws):

I7=Va7/2(R+r) is it correct ?

Close, the EMF/voltage in the circuit is E-Va7. (E pushes the charges clockwise and Va7 pushes the counter-clockwise)

However, I don't see the relation between r and R except maybe: E=(R+r)i...

If you apply the method in the first diagram 7 more times, you should be able to easily express [itex]r[/itex] in terms of [itex]R[/itex].

Hello,

Sorry for my "short" silence and thank you for your reply gabbagabbahey.

I had the time to read what you've written and think about the solution thouroughly.

When going from (a) to (b), you simply use the formula for two resistors in parallel. When going from (b) to (c), you use the formula for two resistors in series...do you see why?
I think I do.

By the way, the teacher gave us the correction sooner as planned so...Still thank you, it helped me very much to better understand the correction then =)

See all of you ^^ (soon ?!)

1. What is an Analog to Digital Converter (ADC)?

An ADC is an electronic device that converts analog signals into digital signals. It takes a continuous analog signal and converts it into a discrete digital representation, allowing digital devices to process and analyze the signal.

2. How does an ADC work?

An ADC works by taking an analog input signal and sampling it at regular intervals, measuring the voltage at each interval and converting it into a binary number. The number of intervals and the resolution of the ADC determine the accuracy of the digital representation of the analog signal.

3. What are the different types of ADCs?

There are three main types of ADCs: successive approximation ADC, delta-sigma ADC, and ramp-compare ADC. Each type uses a different method for converting analog signals into digital signals and has its own advantages and disadvantages.

4. What are the applications of ADCs?

ADCs are used in a wide range of applications, including audio and video recording, medical equipment, industrial automation, and communication systems. They are also an essential component in digital devices such as smartphones, laptops, and digital cameras.

5. How is the accuracy of an ADC measured?

The accuracy of an ADC is typically measured by its resolution, which is the number of bits in the digital output. For example, a 12-bit ADC can represent an analog signal with 4096 different values, resulting in a higher accuracy compared to an 8-bit ADC with only 256 different values.