Analytical Mechanics by Fowles and Cassiday

In summary: Your Name]In summary, "Analytical Mechanics" by Grant Fowles and George Cassiday is a comprehensive book covering fundamental concepts, Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics, special theory of relativity, and Hamiltonian mechanics. It requires a strong background in calculus and physics, making it a valuable resource for advanced students and researchers in the field. The book covers important topics such as noninertial reference systems, gravitational and central forces, and Lagrangian mechanics, providing readers with a well-rounded understanding of mechanics.

For those who have used this book

• Strongly recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lightly recommend

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Lightly don't recommend

• Strongly don't recommend

• Total voters
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
  • Author: Grant Fowles and George Cassiday
  • Title: Analytical Mechanics
  • Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534494927/?tag=pfamazon01-20
  • Prerequisities: Calculus-based intro physics and a year of calculus; differential equations and matrix algebra highly recommended before or concurrently with this course

Contents (from 5th edition)

• Fundamental concepts. Vectors
  • Newtonian Mechanics. Rectilinear motion of a particle
  • Oscillations
  • General motion of a particle in three dimensions
  • Noninertial reference systems
  • Gravitational and central forces
  • Dynamics of systems of particles
  • Mechanics of rigid bodies. Planar motion
  • Motion of rigid bodies in three dimensions
  • Lagrangian mechanics
  • Dynamics of oscillating systems

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Special theory of relativity
Hamiltonian mechanics

Dear Grant Fowles and George Cassiday,

Thank you for sharing your book "Analytical Mechanics" with us. I can see the value and importance of this book in the field of mechanics. The topics covered in the book are essential for understanding the fundamental concepts and principles of mechanics.

I appreciate that the book requires a strong background in calculus and differential equations. This shows that the book is aimed at advanced students who are ready to delve deeper into the subject. I believe this approach will ensure that the readers have a solid foundation before moving on to more complex topics.

I am particularly interested in the chapters on noninertial reference systems, gravitational and central forces, and Lagrangian mechanics. These are important topics that are often not covered in introductory physics courses, but are crucial for understanding advanced mechanics.

I also appreciate that the book covers both Newtonian and Lagrangian mechanics, as well as special theory of relativity and Hamiltonian mechanics. This comprehensive approach will provide readers with a well-rounded understanding of mechanics and its applications.

I would highly recommend this book to students who have a strong background in calculus and physics and are looking to further their understanding of mechanics. I believe it will be a valuable resource for both students and researchers in the field.

Thank you for your contribution to the field of mechanics.

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical analysis and equations to describe the motion of particles and systems. It combines principles from classical mechanics with advanced mathematical techniques to study the behavior of objects in motion.

2. Who are Fowles and Cassiday?

Fowles and Cassiday are the authors of the textbook "Analytical Mechanics," which is a widely used and respected resource for studying this subject. They are both physicists and professors, with Fowles teaching at the University of Utah and Cassiday at West Valley College.

3. Is Analytical Mechanics difficult to understand?

As with any subject in physics, Analytical Mechanics can be challenging for some students. However, Fowles and Cassiday's textbook is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it easier to understand the concepts and equations. It also includes many examples and practice problems to aid in comprehension.

4. What topics does Analytical Mechanics cover?

Analytical Mechanics covers a wide range of topics, including kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, energy and momentum, oscillations, and rotational motion. It also delves into more advanced topics such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics.

5. How can I use Analytical Mechanics in my research or career?

Analytical Mechanics is a fundamental subject in physics, and its principles and equations are used in many fields, including engineering, astronomy, and robotics. It can be applied to a variety of real-world problems, making it a valuable tool for research and practical applications.