Analyzing the Effect of a Broken Lamp on Current Distribution in a Circuit

In summary, the current through lamp N will also change when lamp M breaks, as the resultant resistance changes. This is because the parallel combination is no longer present, causing an increase in resistance across the circuit and a decrease in current for both lamps. As a result, the power for lamp N decreases while the power for lamp L increases, as it has more current passing through its resistance compared to the parallel combination. This can be proven by calculating the powers using the equation P = VI, where V is the voltage (E) and I is the current.
ravsterphysics
elec.JPG

Homework Equations

Power = VI

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since lamp M breaks, lamp L gets more of the current so its brightness increases and lamp N's brightness stays the same because the current at point 2 is the same if the other lamp breaks or not, so N's brightness should not be affected.

So my answer is A but the correct answer is D?? What have I done wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
ravsterphysics said:
View attachment 110973

Homework Equations

Power = VI

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Since lamp M breaks, lamp L gets more of the current so its brightness increases and lamp N's brightness stays the same because the current at point 2 is the same if the other lamp breaks or not, so N's brightness should not be affected.

So my answer is A but the correct answer is D?? What have I done wrong?
The current through N will also change, as the resultant resistance changes when lamp M breaks.

ehild said:
The current through N will also change, as the resultant resistance changes when lamp M breaks.

I get it now.

since the parallel combo is no more, resistance has increased across the circuit so less current for both, so N decreases but L increases since it has more current in resistance than in parallel. Thanks.

It is correct, but can you derive what are the powers on the lamps in both cases, to prove your statement? The EMF of the battery is E and each lamp has resistance r.

1. What is current in a circuit?

Current in a circuit refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is essential for the operation of electrical devices.

2. How is current measured in a circuit?

Current can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of charge through a specific point in the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between current and voltage in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, the current in a circuit is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current also increases, but as the resistance increases, the current decreases.

4. How does a bulb affect the current in a circuit?

A bulb, or any other electrical load, affects the current in a circuit by creating resistance. This resistance causes a decrease in the current, which in turn causes the bulb to light up. The brighter the bulb, the higher the current flowing through it.

5. Can current flow in a circuit without a complete path?

No, current cannot flow without a complete path or circuit. This means that there must be a continuous loop of conductive materials for the current to flow through. If there is a break or gap in the circuit, the current will not flow.