Analyzing the LCR Circuit: Oscillatory Currents

In summary: You have an expression for dI/dt at t = 0: dI/dt=V0/L .That's why I suggested evaluating the first derivative of your solution for I(t) at t = 0.
albega

Homework Statement

I have the LCR circuit attached below.

At time t=0 the capacitor is uncharged and the switch is closed. By solving an appropriate
differential equation, show that the current through the resistor is oscillatory provided
L<4CR2. By considering the boundary conditions at t=0 and as t→∞, sketch the
form of this current as a function of time.

Homework Equations

V=IR, V=LdI/dt, V=Q/C.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first bit is pretty simple, giving a DE of
LCRd2I/dt2+LdI/dt+RI=V0.

Solving for the transient complentary functions using the quadratic formula gives the required condition for an oscillatory current.

I can solve the DE to obtain
I=exp(-t/2CR)(Asinβt+Bcosβt)+(V0/R), where β=[√(4LCR2-L2)]/2LCR and we are assuming oscillatory solutions do exist as the question wants.

I have the initial condition Q=0 for the capacitor when t=0, so then I=0. Then B=-V0/R. However the condition as t→∞ is problematic. I expect I→Vo/R (the steady-state solution) as t→∞. If I let t tend to infinity in my solution, the CF vanishes, so it doesn't allow me to implement any sort of condition. I can only think of this meaning I can let A be zero but I don't think that would be ok.

Any clues would be great, thanks!

Attachments

• LCR circuit problem.png
    LCR circuit problem.png
    3.1 KB · Views: 485
Physics news on Phys.org
albega said:

Homework Statement

I have the LCR circuit attached below.

At time t=0 the capacitor is uncharged and the switch is closed. By solving an appropriate
differential equation, show that the current through the resistor is oscillatory provided
L<4CR2. By considering the boundary conditions at t=0 and as t→∞, sketch the
form of this current as a function of time.

Homework Equations

V=IR, V=LdI/dt, V=Q/C.

The Attempt at a Solution

So the first bit is pretty simple, giving a DE of
LCRd2I/dt2+LdI/dt+RI=V0.

Solving for the transient complentary functions using the quadratic formula gives the required condition for an oscillatory current.

I can solve the DE to obtain
I=exp(-t/2CR)(Asinβt+Bcosβt)+(V0/R), where β=[√(4LCR2-L2)]/2LCR and we are assuming oscillatory solutions do exist as the question wants.

I have the initial condition Q=0 for the capacitor when t=0, so then I=0. Then B=-V0/R. However the condition as t→∞ is problematic. I expect I→Vo/R (the steady-state solution) as t→∞.
What is ##\displaystyle\ \lim_{t\,\to\,\infty}e^{-t/(2RC)} \ ? ##

If I let t tend to infinity in my solution, the CF vanishes, so it doesn't allow me to implement any sort of condition. I can only think of this meaning I can let A be zero but I don't think that would be ok.

Any clues would be great, thanks!

SammyS said:
What is ##\displaystyle\ \lim_{t\,\to\,\infty}e^{-t/(2RC)} \ ? ##

Zero... As I said, that causes the CF, the transient response, to vanish.

However this isn't useful in finding the arbitrary constant A because it all just disappears.

I = 0 initially because of the nature of inductors, not because Q = 0.

Q = 0 implies that at t = 0, the voltage drop across the capacitor is zero.

Take the derivative of your solution and apply a boundary condition to that at t = 0. That should give what A is.

SammyS said:
I = 0 initially because of the nature of inductors, not because Q = 0.

Q = 0 implies that at t = 0, the voltage drop across the capacitor is zero.

Take the derivative of your solution and apply a boundary condition to that at t = 0. That should give what A is.

I don't see how Q=0 at t=0 implies anything about dI/dt at t=0...

The voltage across the resistor and capacitor is U=Vo-LdI/dt. At t=0 it is zero.
Note that the problem asks the current through the resistor, which is U/R.
Oscillatory means also damped oscillation.

ehild

albega said:
I don't see how Q=0 at t=0 implies anything about dI/dt at t=0...
It wouldn't except that the inductor is involved.

Initially, t = 0, the voltage drop across the resistor/capacitor is zero, so you know that the voltage drop across the inductor is V0. But you also know how the voltage drop across the inductor is related to the current. Right?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
It wouldn't except that the inductor is involved.

Initially, t = 0, the voltage drop across the resistor/capacitor is zero, so you know that the voltage drop across the inductor is V0. But you also know how the voltage drop across the inductor is related to the current. Right?

Yes, that gives dItotal/dt=V0/L at t=0. How can I relate that to I through the resistor? Also I notice we're dealing with t=0 here. What about t→∞ as the question suggests?

albega said:
Yes, that gives dItotal/dt=V0/L at t=0. How can I relate that to I through the resistor? Also I notice we're dealing with t=0 here. What about t→∞ as the question suggests?
Last question first:
Presumably the initial solution to the differential equation contained an additive constant, which was set to V0/R because of the behavior of I(t) as t→∞ .

How to find A:
You have an expression for dI/dt at t = 0: dI/dt=V0/L .

That's why I suggested evaluating the first derivative of your solution for I(t) at t = 0.

Take the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ e^{-t/(2RC)}\left(A\sin(\beta t)+B\cos(\beta t) \right) +\frac{V_0}{R} \,,\ [/itex] evaluate that at t = 0 & set it equal to V0/L

SammyS said:
Last question first:
Presumably the initial solution to the differential equation contained an additive constant, which was set to V0/R because of the behavior of I(t) as t→∞ .

How to find A:
You have an expression for dI/dt at t = 0: dI/dt=V0/L .

That's why I suggested evaluating the first derivative of your solution for I(t) at t = 0.

Take the derivative of [itex]\displaystyle \ e^{-t/(2RC)}\left(A\sin(\beta t)+B\cos(\beta t) \right) +\frac{V_0}{R} \,,\ [/itex] evaluate that at t = 0 & set it equal to V0/L

Right, I'm fine with all that, but surely I have an expression for dItot/dt at t=0 and not dI/dt, because the current through the resistor is not the same as that through the inductor.

albega said:
Right, I'm fine with all that, but surely I have an expression for dItot/dt at t=0 and not dI/dt, because the current through the resistor is not the same as that through the inductor.
What is I(t) ? Current through the source? ... Current through the inductor ? ... Current through the resistor/capacitor combination ?

Yes to all three.

Although it doesn't matter for the issue at hand: At t = 0, the voltage drop across the resistor is zero. Therefore, no current flows through the resistor.

SammyS said:
What is I(t) ? Current through the source? ... Current through the inductor ? ... Current through the resistor/capacitor combination ?

Yes to all three.

Although it doesn't matter for the issue at hand: At t = 0, the voltage drop across the resistor is zero. Therefore, no current flows through the resistor.

Is there a mathematical way to show dItot/dt=dI/dt though? I can't find a way which is a little annoying.

albega said:
Is there a mathematical way to show dItot/dt=dI/dt though? I can't find a way which is a little annoying.

It is not true. You solved the differential equation for the total current I.

The current through the resistor is i = U/R where U is the voltage across the resistor.

The voltages add along the loop (Kirchhoff's loop rule) so the voltage across the inductor + voltage across the capacitor= voltage of the source. UL+U=U0.
The voltage across the inductor is proportional to the time derivative of the current. UL=LdI/dt.

So LdI/dt + U = U0 →U=U0-LdI/dt and the current through the resistor is i=U/R. ehild

ehild said:
It is not true. You solved the differential equation for the total current I.

The current through the resistor is i = U/R where U is the voltage across the resistor.

The voltages add along the loop (Kirchhoff's loop rule) so the voltage across the inductor + voltage across the capacitor= voltage of the source. UL+U=U0.
The voltage across the inductor is proportional to the time derivative of the current. UL=LdI/dt.

So LdI/dt + U = U0 →U=U0-LdI/dt and the current through the resistor is i=U/R.

ehild

I solved it for the current through the resistor only.

Here:
Let the current through the inductor be I1+I2, that through the resistor I2 and that through the capacitor I1.

Going around the resistor capacitor loop,
Q1/C-I2R=0 and differentiating this gives I1=CRdI2/dt.
Going around the cell, inductor and capacitor loop,
V0-Ld(I1+I2)/dt-Q1/C=0.
V0-LdI1/dt-LdI2/dt-Q1/C=0

Substituting for I1 we have

LCRd2I2/dt2+LdI2/dt2+RI2=V0.

Then solve for the complementary function, assuming L<4CR2 for underdamped solutions. Then solve for the PI.

I obtain the general solution I2=exp(-t/2CR)(Asinβt+Bcosβt)+(V0/R), where β=[√(4LCR2-L2)]/2LCR.

Sorry, I did not recognize it was the equation for the resistor current in the OP.
It is still valid that LdI(total)/dt+RI2=Vo.
To find the other constant, A, use that the current through the inductor (the total current) is zero at t=0.
I(total)=I1+I2, and I1=dQ/dt=d(UC)/dt=RCdI2/dt.

ehild

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
ehild said:
Sorry, I did not recognize it was the equation for the resistor current in the OP.
To find the other constant, A, use that the current through the inductor (the total current) is zero at t=0.

ehild
Thanks ehild for clearing up this issue!

@albega,
I apologize for misreading the question. You're in excellent hands now, with my friend ehild.

And of course, you were correct in stating that Q=0 @ t=0 → I2 = 0 at t=0 !

Placing subscripts on the currents sure does help clarify things!

Last edited:
ehild said:

ehild

So my initial conditions are I2=dI2/dt=0 at t=0.

If so, thanks for clearing that up!

SammyS said:
Thanks ehild for clearing up this issue!

@albega,
I apologize for misreading the question. You're in excellent hands now, with my friend ehild.

And of course, you were correct in stating that Q=0 @ t=0 → I2 = 0 at t=0 !

Placing subscripts on the currents sure does help clarify things!

Ah sorry, I should have made it clearer by using subscripts from the start! That will teach me not to take shortcuts in the future...

albega said:
So my initial conditions are I2=dI2/dt=0 at t=0.

If so, thanks for clearing that up!

Yes, we figured it out at the end :wink: The problem text was confusing: t→∞ helped to find the particular solution.

ehild

1. What is an LCR circuit?

An LCR circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These components are connected in series or parallel and are used to analyze the behavior of electrical currents.

2. How does an LCR circuit produce oscillatory currents?

An LCR circuit produces oscillatory currents due to the interaction between the inductor and capacitor. When the circuit is first turned on, the capacitor charges up and stores energy. As the capacitor discharges, it releases this energy, causing the current to flow back and forth between the inductor and capacitor, resulting in oscillations.

3. What is resonance in an LCR circuit?

Resonance in an LCR circuit occurs when the inductive reactance (XL) and capacitive reactance (XC) cancel each other out, resulting in a net reactance of zero. This causes the current to reach its maximum value and the circuit to vibrate at a specific frequency known as the resonant frequency.

4. How do you calculate the resonant frequency in an LCR circuit?

The resonant frequency (f) in an LCR circuit can be calculated using the formula f = 1 / (2π√(LC)), where L is the inductance in henries and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula can also be rearranged to solve for L or C if the resonant frequency is known.

5. What are some practical applications of LCR circuits?

LCR circuits have many practical applications, including in electronic filters, amplifiers, and oscillators. They are also used in radio communication systems, audio equipment, and medical devices. LCR circuits are important in understanding and designing various electronic systems and technologies.