Angle between magnetic field B and velocity of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
ivanwho49
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find magnitude and direction of F of a charge moving through a magnetic field.

velocity: 5 m/s
charge: 2 C
B: 3 T (pointing out of the page when drawn)

Homework Equations



(vector)F=qv x B
(magnitude)F=qvBsinθ


The Attempt at a Solution



I know to use the equation for magnitude but I'm confused as to what the angle would be between v and B. Since the magnetic field is pointing out of the page, would the angle be 90°, making sin(90)=1?

Also, don't know what direction that would be. Since I don't know the direction of B, I'm not sure how to use the right hand rule to figure this out.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You do know the direction of B. It's out of the page.

Unfortunately, the problem does not define the direction of v so you can't solve it.
 
Sorry, forgot to mention that: the velocity moves straight from left to right.
 
ivanwho49 said:
Sorry, forgot to mention that: the velocity moves straight from left to right.

OK, so place a sheet of paper on the table, draw an arrow from left to right = v, then hold a pencil at the back end of the arrow pointing straight up (B).
What is the angle between the arrow and the pencil?