Angle from force applied / Momentum question

In summary, the first question involves finding the magnitude of the impulse delivered by a hockey stick to a puck with given initial and final velocities. The answer is 11.18 kg m/s. The second question asks for the angle of the force applied to the puck, which can be found by drawing a vector diagram. The third question asks if it is possible for the total momentum of three particles to be zero, even though the individual momentums are not. The answer is yes, as long as the particles are in the same plane and cannot be expressed in terms of each other.
Kaln0s

Homework Statement

Okay the first question is:

1. A hockey puck with mass 0.250 kg has initial velocity 3.00 i + 5.00 j m/s just before being hit by a hockey stick. The final velocity after the hit is -37.0 i + 25.0 j m/s. What was the magnitude of the impulse delivered by the stick to the puck, in kg m/s?

For this I just took the final velocity - initial and took the magnitude to get .250 sqrt[-40^2 + 20^2] = 11.18

Part two though I have no idea how to do.

2. What is the angle of the force applied to the hockey puck in the previous problem? The angle should be measured with respect to the positive x-axis in degrees.

below.

3. Is it possible for the total momentum of three particles to be zero, even though the momentum of the individual particles is not?

below.

Homework Equations

p= mv
Velocityf - Velocityi

The Attempt at a Solution

2. I'm not sure how to do this... I thought of just doing the y over x component 400/1600 = 1/4 = 45 degrees. I don't think that's right though because looking at the final velocity it looks like it will be in quadrant 2 maybe?

3. I said yes as long as they were in the same plane because they wouldn't be able to be expressed in terms of each other. (mostly need confirmation on this yes / no)

Thanks for your help!

:biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
2. you have the direction of the initial, final velocity, and you have also calulated the direction of the impulse. Draw a vector diagram and find any angle that is necessary.

I would like to provide the following response to the content:

1. Your approach to finding the magnitude of the impulse delivered by the stick to the puck is correct. However, it would be helpful to show the calculation steps and units in your answer. The final answer should be 11.18 kg m/s.

2. To find the angle of the force applied to the hockey puck, you can use the dot product formula: θ = cos^-1 ((A•B)/(|A||B|)). In this case, A represents the initial velocity vector and B represents the change in velocity vector (final velocity - initial velocity). Once you calculate the dot product, take the inverse cosine and convert the angle to degrees. This will give you the angle of the force with respect to the positive x-axis. In this case, the angle is approximately 118.7 degrees.

3. Your answer for the third question is correct. As long as the three particles are in the same plane and their momenta cancel out, the total momentum can be zero even if the individual momenta are not. This is known as conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force. So, in this case, the total momentum is zero because the forces acting on the particles cancel each other out.

1. What is the relationship between angle of force applied and momentum?

The angle of force applied has a direct effect on the momentum of an object. When a force is applied at a right angle to the direction of motion, it will not change the object's momentum. However, when a force is applied at an angle, it will cause the object to change direction and therefore change its momentum.

2. How does the angle of force applied affect the direction of momentum?

The angle of force applied determines the direction of the resulting momentum. If the force is applied at an angle to the direction of motion, the momentum will change direction and follow the angle of the force.

3. Can the angle of force applied change the magnitude of momentum?

Yes, the angle of force applied can change the magnitude of momentum. When a force is applied at an angle, it causes the object to change direction and therefore change its velocity. This change in velocity affects the magnitude of the object's momentum.

4. How can the angle of force applied be calculated?

The angle of force applied can be calculated using trigonometric functions, such as sine and cosine. The angle can be determined by finding the ratio of the side opposite the angle to the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

5. How can the angle of force applied be controlled in an experiment?

In an experiment, the angle of force applied can be controlled by using a tool, such as a protractor, to measure and adjust the angle of the force. The angle can also be controlled by using a device, such as a pulley system, to apply the force at a specific angle.