Which Vectors Correctly Determine the Interior Angle at B in a 3D Parallelogram?

In summary, when finding the interior angle at B in a parallelogram in 3D with vectors A(2,-1,4), B(1,0,-1), C(1,2,3), and D(2,1,8), using vectors BA and BC yields a result of 39 degrees, which is the correct answer. The book's answer of 140 degrees using vectors AB and BC is incorrect. It is important to use the correct set of vectors when finding interior angles in order to get an accurate result.
ctg7w6

Homework Statement

Parallelogram in 3d with vectors. Points: A(2,-1,4); B(1,0,-1); C(1,2,3); D(2,1,8)

I need the interior angle at B in degrees.

Homework Equations

cos(theta) = (Vector1 dot product vector2) / (magnitude of v1 * magnitude of v2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used vectors BA and BC. I got 39 degrees. The answer sheet that I have uses AB and BC as the vectors and gets 140 degrees. Which vectors should I use? The picture in the homework makes the angle at B look like one of the smaller angles in the parallelogram, but I know you shouldn't trust pictures, because they might not be drawn to scale.

So, I know how to do the problem, I just don't know which vectors are the correct ones to use. Could someone also explain WHY the particular set of vectors should be used instead of the other set? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it right. The book did it wrong.

Thank you! That problem has been eating at me for the past few days and driving me nuts!

Related to Which Vectors Correctly Determine the Interior Angle at B in a 3D Parallelogram?

1. What is an angle in a 3-D parallelogram?

An angle in a 3-D parallelogram refers to the measure of the rotation between two intersecting planes in a three-dimensional space.

2. How is an angle in a 3-D parallelogram measured?

An angle in a 3-D parallelogram is measured in degrees using a protractor or by using trigonometric functions.

3. What is the sum of angles in a 3-D parallelogram?

The sum of all four angles in a 3-D parallelogram is always 360 degrees.

4. How do you find the angles of a 3-D parallelogram?

To find the angles of a 3-D parallelogram, you can use the properties of parallelograms and the given measurements of the sides and angles to solve for the missing angles.

5. Can an angle in a 3-D parallelogram be obtuse or reflex?

Yes, an angle in a 3-D parallelogram can be obtuse (greater than 90 degrees) or reflex (greater than 180 degrees) depending on the measurements of the sides and angles.