Angle of vevtor in component form

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle and magnitude of a vector using right and up as the positive directions. The angle is measured clockwise from the x-axis and the final answer is 65 degrees. The answer would have been 294 degrees if the usual convention of measuring anti-clockwise was used.
arukia
Angle of vector in component form

Find the vector's magnitude and direction. Use right as the +x direction and up as the +y direction.

[itex]\vec{A} = 3.50 \hat{i} - 7.70 \hat{j}[/itex]

Find [itex]\theta_A[/itex] degrees below the positive x-axis.

[itex]\theta_A = arctan\left ( \frac{7.70}{3.50} \right ) [/itex]

[itex]=65.55604522^\circ[/itex]

[itex]360^\circ - 65.55604522^\circ = 294.4439548^\circ[/itex]

But this is wrong. I also tried: -65[itex]^\circ[/itex] and 336[itex]^\circ[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Usually the angle is measured anticlockwise from the x axis, in which case your answer of 294.44 degrees would be correct. When you found the angle below the positive axis, that was an intermediate step? Or is that what the question asked you for? If the question asked for that, then the answer would be 65.56 degrees.

No my 294[itex]^\circ[/itex] was the final answer and what was being asked.
Yes, 65[itex]^\circ[/itex] turned out to be correct but I don't understand why.
Since the question asked: Find [itex]\theta_A[/itex] degrees below the positive x-axis. I thought it would be -65[itex]^\circ[/itex] or 294[itex]^\circ[/itex]
By the way are links to a non-copyrighted PDF allowed in the forums ?

I'm not sure about the PDF's... I would suppose so. About the problem, they ask for degrees below the positive x-axis, so this means the angle as measure clockwise from the x-axis, which is why the answer is +65 degrees. In the usual convention of measuring anti-clockwise, the answer would have been 294 degrees, but they specify to not use the convention.

The angle of the vector in component form can be found using the inverse tangent function. In this case, the angle is found to be 65.55604522 degrees below the positive x-axis. However, it is important to note that the direction of the angle can vary depending on the quadrant in which the vector lies. In this example, the vector lies in the fourth quadrant, so the angle is measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis. This means that the correct angle is 294.4439548 degrees, not 65.55604522 degrees. It is also important to consider the negative signs in the components of the vector, as they can affect the direction of the angle. In this case, the negative y-component (-7.70) indicates that the vector is pointing downwards, so the angle should be measured in the fourth quadrant. Therefore, the correct angle in this case is 294.4439548 degrees.

1. What is the meaning of angle of vector in component form?

The angle of vector in component form refers to the angle between the vector and the x-axis when the vector is represented in its horizontal and vertical components.

2. How is the angle of vector in component form calculated?

The angle of vector in component form can be calculated using the inverse tangent function (arctan) of the vertical component divided by the horizontal component.

3. What is the range of values for the angle of vector in component form?

The range of values for the angle of vector in component form is between 0 and 360 degrees, or between 0 and 2π radians.

4. Can the angle of vector in component form be negative?

Yes, the angle of vector in component form can be negative if the vector is pointing in the negative direction of the x-axis. In this case, the angle would be represented as a negative value in degrees or radians.

5. What is the difference between the angle of vector and the magnitude of the vector?

The angle of vector refers to the direction of the vector, while the magnitude of the vector refers to its length. Both are important components in fully describing a vector in component form.