Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Angle of vision for a real image

1. Apr 23, 2017 #1
    Hi there, i want to know as much as possible about this situation.

I want to know the angles of vision for a real image, where can one see the image, the location of our eye to see it. Which factors determine this angle
    Thank you so much :D
    I hope this isn't a dumb question, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2017 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

The angle the object has to be relative to the optical axis is around 90 degrees horizontally and 65-70 degrees vertically. This leads to a field of view of about 180 degrees by 135 degrees.

The distance the object can be at to be seen (in focus) ranges from the near point of your eye, about 25 cm in younger people but increasing with age, all the way to infinity.

Note that in the video the the man uses a mirror to form a real image of the light bulb. This image can be thought of as an object for optical purposes and as long as the location of this real image falls within the range I mentioned above then you should be able to see it. If you move closer to the mirror such that the rays enter your eye before they come to focus to form an image of the light bulb, then you probably won't see a light bulb at all, but a big blurry mess.

4. Apr 23, 2017 #3
    upload_2017-4-23_14-23-34.png
    So supposing it's a screen, a 5x5 screen, at the center of curvature, and it doesn't change con size or anything funny, can it be seen such as it's represented here, the pairs of circles representing our eyes, so it can be seen from all those angles?

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted