Angled falling Meter Stick on a frictionless surface

In summary, the meter stick will reach the length of the meter stick (l) after it falls 60 degrees if it is not held in any direction.
stormfalconx

Homework Statement

A meter stick is held 60 degrees to the horizontal on a flat frictionless surface. If it is let go what is the distance the back the stick will reach with respect to the length of the meter stick (l).

Homework Equations

I = 1/3 mL^2
Don't know what to use. This seems more conceptual.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed that the bottom of where the meter stick touches the ground is 0. If the stick is held at an angle and there is no net torque in the x-direction, then the center of mass should fall straight down right? I don't know where to go from there. How would I find out how far back the bottom of the meter stick has moved?

Physics news on Phys.org
stormfalconx said:
How would I find out how far back the bottom of the meter stick has moved?
Consider horizontal forces.

haruspex said:

Do you mean the torque that is opposite the direction of falling? How does torque relate to distance though? I thought it was only equal to I*α or rFsinθ?

stormfalconx said:
Do you mean the torque that is opposite the direction of falling? How does torque relate to distance though? I thought it was only equal to I*α or rFsinθ?
No, not torque. Just the horizontal forces and any consequential acceleration.

haruspex said:
No, not torque. Just the horizontal forces and any consequential acceleration.

How can there be a horizontal force when an object is dropped? Am I missing a component of Fg somewhere?

stormfalconx said:
How can there be a horizontal force when an object is dropped? Am I missing a component of Fg somewhere?
Right, there is no horizontal component of Fg. Any other possibility?

stormfalconx said:
... then the center of mass should fall straight down right? I don't know where to go from there. How would I find out how far back the bottom of the meter stick has moved?
If the center of mass falls straight down, can the low end of the stick remain in its starting position? Draw a "before" and "after" picture.

kuruman said:
If the center of mass falls straight down, can the low end of the stick remain in its starting position? Draw a "before" and "after" picture.
Thanks for stepping in. I had fixated on the OP's reference to torque and missed that the OP had already figured out that the mass centre will descend vertically.

kuruman said:

I think the low end of the stick will move back because the surface is frictionless. I'm attaching a drawing I made. I made the red dot the center.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    961 bytes · Views: 346
haruspex said:
Thanks for stepping in. I had fixated on the OP's reference to torque and missed that the OP had already figured out that the mass centre will descend vertically.

I attached an image on post 9. I know the center of mass will stay vertically the same. However I can't wrap my head around how far the stick will go based on just this information.

stormfalconx said:
I attached an image on post 9. I know the center of mass will stay vertically the same. However I can't wrap my head around how far the stick will go based on just this information.
It will help to put both positions in the one diagram, and mark the start and finish positions of the centre of the stick. Show all known distances and angles, and the distance to be found as x.

haruspex said:
What horizontal forces did you have in mind on a frictionless table top?

Dr.D said:
What horizontal forces did you have in mind on a frictionless table top?
That was my point, but at that stage I had not noticed the OP had already figured out the mass centre would fall vertically.

haruspex said:
It will help to put both positions in the one diagram, and mark the start and finish positions of the centre of the stick. Show all known distances and angles, and the distance to be found as x.

Thanks I think figured it out. When I drew it out I solved for horizontal distance between the CM and point of contact with the floor. That was 0.25m and so if the CM falls straight down, it will cover 0.25m of its 0.5m for the initial horizontal distance, leaving another 0.25 meters extending over the initial point of contact.

stormfalconx said:
Thanks I think figured it out. When I drew it out I solved for horizontal distance between the CM and point of contact with the floor. That was 0.25m and so if the CM falls straight down, it will cover 0.25m of its 0.5m for the initial horizontal distance, leaving another 0.25 meters extending over the initial point of contact.
Right!

Likes stormfalconx

1. What is the purpose of studying the angled falling meter stick on a frictionless surface?

The purpose of studying this scenario is to understand the principles of rotational motion and how it applies to objects with a non-uniform center of mass.

2. How is the meter stick able to fall at an angle without any external forces acting on it?

In this scenario, the meter stick is on a frictionless surface, meaning there is no force of friction to oppose its motion. The stick is able to fall at an angle due to the torque created by its non-uniform center of mass.

3. Does the length of the meter stick affect its motion when falling at an angle?

Yes, the length of the meter stick does affect its motion. A longer meter stick will have a greater moment of inertia, making it more resistant to rotational motion and causing it to fall at a slower rate compared to a shorter meter stick.

4. How does the angle at which the meter stick falls affect its acceleration?

The angle at which the meter stick falls does not affect its acceleration. As long as there are no external forces acting on the stick and it is on a frictionless surface, the acceleration will remain constant regardless of the angle.

5. What is the relationship between the angle at which the meter stick falls and its final position?

The angle at which the meter stick falls will determine its final position. The stick will always fall towards its center of mass, so the steeper the angle, the closer the final position will be to the base of the stick.