Angular acceleration of a cylinder?

In summary, the linear acceleration of a cylinder on an inclined plane was found to be 8.76238 m/s^2 and the question was posed on how to find the angular acceleration. The suggested method was to use the equation a = r * alpha, with the information provided, resulting in an angular acceleration of 25 rad/s^-2. The high value was explained by considering the size of the cylinder.
khfrekek92

Homework Statement

After some long calculations, I found that the linear acceleration of a cylinder on an inclined plane (attached to a block over a pulley on another inclined plane) was 8.76238 m/s^2. How do I find the angular acceleration of this rolling cylinder?

Homework Equations

I[omega]=mR^2[omega] maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I literally have no idea how to finish this problem.. Thanks in advance for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
if the cylinder is rolling without slipping, then the angular acceleration is equal to the linear acceleration divided by the radius of the cylinder.

cheers

khfrekek92 said:

Homework Equations

I[omega]=mR^2[omega] maybe?

Isn't the moment of inertia for a cylinder rotating around ax axis through its length 1/2 mr2 (or am I misremembering?). If so the equation you suggest cannot be correct.

You might make use of
a= r [tex]\alpha[/tex]
where a is the tangential acceleration of a point on the circumference. Do you have the information to find that? Perhaps from the distance and time, if there is no slipping?

How about [tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex]=rF?

Fewmet said:
Isn't the moment of inertia for a cylinder rotating around ax axis through its length 1/2 mr2 (or am I misremembering?). If so the equation you suggest cannot be correct.

You might make use of
a= r [tex]\alpha[/tex]
where a is the tangential acceleration of a point on the circumference. Do you have the information to find that? Perhaps from the distance and time, if there is no slipping?

How about [tex]\tau[/tex]=I[tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\tau[/tex]=rF?

Are you planning to find torque then angelar acceleration? ... that is surely not a good method
[tex]a = \alpha r[/tex] is perfectly correct

its just a derived eqn from [tex]s = \theta r[/tex] ... here s is linear displacement ...

Okay so if [alpha]=a/r, I plug everything in and with r=.2m and a=5.00156 m/s^2, I get [alpha]=25.0078 s^-2. Inverse squared seconds? Is that a unit of angular acceleration? How would I get that into rad/sec^2? Just multiply it by 2[pi]? I think these angular accelerations are too high for a 5m/s^2 acceleration?

no need to multiply be 2 pi
rad is not a dimensional unit
it is for pure numbers

angular acceleration is 25 rad/s^-2

and for your question that this looks too large for 5m/s^2 acceleration ...

consider 2 cylinders ... one of very smaller radius than other
in order to move together ... smaller one has to spin much more quickly
so even though their linear acceleration may be same ... due to small size ... smaller one will have much larger angular acceleration

Oh okay awesome! Thank you so so much!

FAQ: Angular acceleration of a cylinder?

1. What is angular acceleration of a cylinder?

Angular acceleration of a cylinder is a measure of how quickly the cylinder is changing its rotational speed. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. It is represented by the symbol alpha (α) and has units of radians per second squared (rad/s²).

3. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a cylinder?

The angular acceleration of a cylinder is affected by its moment of inertia, the net torque acting on it, and the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. The larger the moment of inertia, the slower the angular acceleration will be. The net torque and mass distribution can also impact the angular acceleration.

4. How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the equation α = rα, where r is the radius of the cylinder. This means that for a given angular acceleration, the linear acceleration will be greater for a larger radius and smaller for a smaller radius.

5. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. This means that the cylinder is decreasing its rotational speed, either by slowing down or changing direction. A positive angular acceleration indicates an increase in rotational speed, either by speeding up or changing direction.

Back