Angular Momentum and ball velocity

In summary, the speed of the billiard ball when it starts rolling without slipping can be found by using the equations for rotational motion and the definition of friction. This result does not require the force of friction to be constant.
zeromaxxx

Homework Statement

A billiard ball (solid uniform sphere) is struck so that it has initial velocity v0, but no initial spin. As it slides along the table, friction causes it to spin, until eventually it is rolling without slipping. Find its speed when it begins to roll without slipping. Show that your answer does not require that the force of friction be constant (e.g., equal to μN).

Homework Equations

I = 2/5(mr2)

Fk = umg

w = ugt/r

T = F x r

T = I x (angular accel)

F=ma

V = -ugt

The Attempt at a Solution

Considering a constant force:
v = v0 - ugt

rw = 5/2(ugt)

Equating both:

v = rw, t = 2/7 (v0/ug)

w = 5/7 (v0/r)

v = wr = 5/7 v0

How do I show that it does not require that the force of friction be constant to get the same result?

Physics news on Phys.org

To show that the result does not require a constant force of friction, we can use the equations for rotational motion and the definition of friction to derive the same result.

From the given information, we know that the billiard ball starts with an initial velocity v0 and no initial spin. As it slides along the table, friction causes it to spin until it reaches a state of rolling without slipping.

Using the equations for rotational motion, we can find the angular velocity of the ball at the moment it starts rolling without slipping.

First, we know that the moment of inertia (I) for a solid uniform sphere is equal to 2/5(mr^2).

Next, we can use the definition of friction (Fk = μmg) to find the torque (T) acting on the ball.

T = Fk x r = μmg x r

We can then use the equation T = I x α (where α is the angular acceleration) to find the angular acceleration of the ball.

α = T/I = μmg x r / (2/5mr^2) = (5/2)μg/r

Finally, we can use the equation w = ω0 + αt (where ω0 is the initial angular velocity) to find the angular velocity of the ball at the moment it starts rolling without slipping.

w = ω0 + αt = 0 + (5/2)μg/r x t = (5/2)μgt/r

We know that at the moment the ball starts rolling without slipping, the linear velocity (v) and angular velocity (w) are related by the equation v = rw.

Substituting the value of w we found above, we get v = (5/2)μgt.

This result is the same as the one we found earlier using the constant force of friction. However, the above derivation did not require the assumption of a constant force of friction. Therefore, we have shown that the result does not depend on the force of friction being constant.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object around a fixed axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance of an object from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum related to ball velocity?

Angular momentum and ball velocity are related through the equation L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. This means that the faster the ball is spinning (higher angular velocity), the more angular momentum it has.

3. How does the shape of a ball affect its angular momentum?

The shape of a ball affects its angular momentum by changing its moment of inertia. A ball with a larger moment of inertia will have a lower angular momentum at the same angular velocity compared to a ball with a smaller moment of inertia.

4. Can angular momentum be conserved in a collision between two balls?

Yes, angular momentum is conserved in a collision between two balls as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum before the collision will be equal to the total angular momentum after the collision.

5. How does friction affect the angular momentum of a rolling ball?

Friction can decrease the angular momentum of a rolling ball by converting some of its rotational energy into heat. This is because friction creates a torque that acts in the opposite direction of the ball's rotation, slowing it down.