Angular momentum as a function of time question

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular momentum of a particle moving in a circle of constant speed and radius. The initial attempt at finding the angular momentum about point P was unsuccessful, leading to the realization that the distance between the particle and point P changes as it moves around in the circle. The conversation ends with a request for hints to help solve the problem, including considering the mass at a general angle and the relationship between time and the general angle.
goli12

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m moves in a circle of radius R at a constant speed v, as shown below. The motion begins at point Q at time t = 0. Determine the angular momentum of the particle about the axis perpendicular to the page through point P as a function of time.
http://www.webassign.net/serpse8/11-p-017.gif

Homework Equations

L=Iω=rp=m(r x v)
p=mv
v=rω

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did first was finding the angular momentum if it rotated around the origin O. This was straightforward and hence i got the answer of L=m(v x r). However, what got me is finding the angular momentum about the point p. So using the given information, i found the moment arm during t=0 to be 2R, 2x the distance of the radius and with v perpendicular to the moment arm, the angular momentum about point p at t=0 is 2mvr.

However, i realize that the distance between the mass and point p is changing as it moves around in a circle and got completely lost :(

Can you guys please help me with this question with hints please would be really grateful as this question is really getting to me... Cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the mass to be at a general angle with Q. What will its angular momentum about point p at this instant (in terms of the general angle) ? What is the relation between time and the general angle ? Answer requires some geometry.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to time?

Angular momentum is a function of time because it changes as the object's angular velocity changes over time. This can occur due to external torques acting on the object or changes in the object's moment of inertia.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum as a function of time?

The formula for calculating angular momentum as a function of time is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity.

4. How does angular momentum change over time?

Angular momentum can change over time if there is a change in the object's angular velocity or moment of inertia. This can occur due to external torques or changes in the object's shape or mass distribution.

5. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that if no external torques are present, the angular momentum of the system will remain constant over time.