1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum as a function of time question

1. May 8, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moves in a circle of radius R at a constant speed v, as shown below. The motion begins at point Q at time t = 0. Determine the angular momentum of the particle about the axis perpendicular to the page through point P as a function of time.
    http://www.webassign.net/serpse8/11-p-017.gif

2. Relevant equations
    L=Iω=rp=m(r x v)
    p=mv
    v=rω

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did first was finding the angular momentum if it rotated around the origin O. This was straightforward and hence i got the answer of L=m(v x r). However, what got me is finding the angular momentum about the point p. So using the given information, i found the moment arm during t=0 to be 2R, 2x the distance of the radius and with v perpendicular to the moment arm, the angular momentum about point p at t=0 is 2mvr.

However, i realise that the distance between the mass and point p is changing as it moves around in a circle and got completely lost :(

Can you guys please help me with this question with hints please would be really grateful as this question is really getting to me.... Cheers

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2013 #2
    Consider the mass to be at a general angle with Q. What will its angular momentum about point p at this instant (in terms of the general angle) ? What is the relation between time and the general angle ? Answer requires some geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted