Angular momentum: bullet through block with rod and pivot

In summary: I was so confused why it is wasn't working and I was sure I had done the math right. Can't believe it was just a font difference. Thanks again!In summary, the conversation includes a question about the angular momentum of a bullet-block system and the conversion of kinetic energy during collision. The equations used to solve the problems are given, but the answer is incorrect. It is later discovered that the incorrect answer was due to a font difference in the value of length.
blackheart
7. 0/10 points All Submissions Notes Question: SerPSE8 11.P.037.
Question part
1 2
0/5 0/5
4/100 2/100
Total
0/10

A wooden block of mass M resting on a frictionless, horizontal surface is attached to a rigid rod of length script i and of negligible mass. The rod is pivoted at the other end. A bullet of mass m traveling parallel to the horizontal surface and perpendicular to the rod with speed v hits the block and becomes embedded in it.

(a) What is the angular momentum of the bullet–block system about a vertical axis through the pivot? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
My work: L=mvr sin (theta)

r=l and sin (theta) = sin 90 = 1

so L=mvl However, this answer is wrong.

I also tried L=(M+m)vl but this was incorrect also

(b) What fraction of the original kinetic energy of the bullet is converted into internal energy in the system during the collision? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
ΔK/Ki = ?

My work: delta K/Ki = (Kf-Ki)/Ki
K= (1/2)mv^2
Li=Lf
L=mvrsin(theta)

Li= mv
Lf=(m+M)Vf l
mv=(m+M)Vfl

Vf= mv/l(m+M)

(Kf-Ki)/Ki = [(1/2)(M+m)Vf^2 - mV^2]/mV^2
(Kf-Ki)/Ki = [(1/2)(M+m)(mv/(m+M))^2 - mV^2]/mV^2

This is also wrong.
(In bold are general equtions.)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi blackheart! welcome to pf! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
blackheart said:
(a) What is the angular momentum of the bullet–block system about a vertical axis through the pivot? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
My work: L=mvr sin (theta)

r=l and sin (theta) = sin 90 = 1

so L=mvl However, this answer is wrong.

looks right to me. :confused:
(b) What fraction of the original kinetic energy of the bullet is converted into internal energy in the system during the collision? (Use any variable or symbol stated above as necessary.)
ΔK/Ki = ?

your V = mv/(M+m) is correct, but when you squared V, you forgot to square m or (M+m) :redface:

So I know it's an old post, but I just had the same problem. While entering it into webassign, I didn't realize that they gave the value of length l as "script l". If you go into the symbols section of the toolbar that pops up when you go to answer, you should find the "script l" which looks like a cursive l and you enter it like you have it.

Likes 1 person
legnip said:
So I know it's an old post, but I just had the same problem. While entering it into webassign, I didn't realize that they gave the value of length l as "script l". If you go into the symbols section of the toolbar that pops up when you go to answer, you should find the "script l" which looks like a cursive l and you enter it like you have it.

Thanks a bunch man!

I would like to commend you on your attempt to solve this problem. However, there are a few mistakes in your calculations that may have led to the incorrect answers.

Firstly, in part (a), the correct equation for angular momentum in this scenario is L = (M+m)vl, where v is the velocity of the bullet before the collision. This is because the bullet and block both contribute to the angular momentum of the system, not just the bullet alone.

Secondly, in part (b), the correct equation for the fraction of kinetic energy converted into internal energy is ΔK/Ki = (Kf-Ki)/Ki, where Kf is the final kinetic energy of the system after the collision and Ki is the initial kinetic energy of the bullet. In your calculation, you have used the initial kinetic energy of the entire system (bullet + block) instead of just the bullet.

Additionally, when calculating Kf, you should use the final velocity of the bullet after the collision, which can be found by applying conservation of momentum in the horizontal direction. This will give you a more accurate answer for the fraction of kinetic energy converted into internal energy.

Overall, it is important to carefully consider the variables and equations that are relevant to the specific scenario in order to accurately solve a physics problem. I would suggest reviewing the concepts of angular momentum and conservation of energy to better understand this situation. Keep up the good work!

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved in the scenario of a bullet passing through a block with a rod and pivot?

In this scenario, the angular momentum is conserved because there are no external torques acting on the system. The initial angular momentum of the system (before the bullet hits the block) is equal to the final angular momentum of the system (after the bullet passes through the block).

3. What factors affect the angular momentum in this scenario?

The angular momentum in this scenario is affected by the moment of inertia of the block and rod, the angular velocity of the rod, and the velocity and mass of the bullet.

4. How does the placement of the pivot affect the angular momentum in this scenario?

The placement of the pivot does not affect the conservation of angular momentum in this scenario. However, it does affect the moment of inertia of the system, which in turn affects the final angular velocity of the rod.

5. Can the angular momentum in this scenario be calculated using any other formulas?

Yes, the angular momentum in this scenario can also be calculated using the formula L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This formula applies to any scenario involving rotational motion.