1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular momentum during Annihilation of Positron-electron

1. Jul 3, 2012 #1
    1. During the annihilation of positron and electron AT REST, two photons are generally created at opposite direction - angle between them being 180 degres.

However, an electron that is orbiting around an atom can sometimes react with a positron. The orbital electron in that case has therefore a momentum, hence not at rest, and the resulting photons are therefore emerging at an angle that is NOT 180 degrees - See the file attached!

The momentum of the electron around the atom can be rougly obtained with the equation of the quantized angular momentum

2. L = p×r = nh/2pi

3.I am trying to get the maximum angle θ that appears when the vector of the momentum of the electron (black) is perpendicular to the horizontal line (red)

Since writing the equation here could be quite fastidious to understand, I attached a written version of my equations a a .gif file

Thank you very much,

Vincent.

ps: I am absolutely new to this forum so please tell me if I need to add more details or wrote something wrong.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?