How Are the Components of Angular Momentum Derived Mathematically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths for studying Quantum Mechanics. The topic of Angular Momentum is brought up, specifically the classical definition of angular momentum using the equation \mathbf{L = r\times p }. The conversation also mentions the component form of this equation and the desire to understand its mathematical derivation. The attempt at a solution involves looking at other textbooks and online resources for help. Finally, a question is posed asking for clarification on the definition of \mathbf L = \mathbf r \times \mathbf p.
jg370

Homework Statement

In my study of Quantum Mechanics, I am using Introduction to Quantum Mechanics by David J. Griffiths. So far I have done quite well. However, as I come to the section on Angular Momentum, I need help to get further.

Homework Equations

Classically, the angular momentum of a particle is given by:

[tex] \mathbf{L = r\times p }[/tex]

This is all good. But this is followed by component form of the above equation as:

[tex] L_x = yp_z-zp_y, L_y = zp_x-xp_z, L_z = xp_y-yp_z[/tex]

I am curious how [tex] L_x, L_y , L_x[/tex] are mathematically derived

The Attempt at a Solution

I have look at other textbooks and various posting on internet but I have not been able to find anything to help me with. Hopefully, someone will suggest some thing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]\mathbf r = x\hat x + y\hat y + z \hat z[/itex] and [ltex]\mathbf p = p_x \hat x + p_y \hat y + p_z \hat z[/itex]. What ls [itex]\mathbf L = \mathbf r \times \mathbf p[/itex]?

By the way, that definition is just part of classical mechanics. It's not unique to quantum mechanics.

1) What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the amount of rotational motion that an object possesses. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point.

2) What are the two main equations for calculating angular momentum?

The two main equations for calculating angular momentum are L = Iω and L = rmv, where L is angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, ω is the angular velocity, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, m is the mass, and v is the tangential velocity.

3) How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved when there is no external torque acting on a system. This means that the total angular momentum of a system before and after an event or interaction remains constant.

4) What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

Torque is the rotational equivalent of force and is responsible for changing an object's angular momentum. The greater the torque, the greater the change in angular momentum will be.

5) How is angular momentum used in real-world applications?

Angular momentum is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles, machinery, and sports equipment. It is also used in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and in studying the behavior of subatomic particles in quantum mechanics.