How Does the Rotation Period Change When a Star Expands to Six Times Its Volume?

In summary, when a spherical star expands to 6 times its volume while maintaining constant mass and uniform distribution, the period of rotation will decrease. This is due to conservation of angular momentum and the increase in rotational inertia as the star expands. The angular velocity will decrease by a factor of 3.3 to compensate for the increased inertia, which is derived from the ratio of the new and original radii of the star. To solve this mathematically, the formula for moment of inertia for a solid sphere should be used.
dnt
ok the question is a spherical star expands to 6 times its volume but its mass remains constant and is uniformly distributed - how does the period of rotation change?

obviously it rotates slower and thus the period goes up, but i don't know how to solve it mathematically. can someone give me some pointers and get me going in the right direction? is there a main equation i should be using and do i need to find the ratio of the radii before and after the star expands?

thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's conserved? How does the rotational inertia change when the star expands? (Yes, you'll need to know how the radius changes.)

angular momentum is conserved.

and rotational inertia increases as the star expands, hence the angular velocity will go down to conserve angular momentum (L=Iw), right?

and if the volume goes up by 6 times, it means the radius went up by ~1.8 times.

do i then square that value because I=mr^2?

which means the inertia went up by (1.8)^2 = 3.3 and therefore the angular velocity (w) went down by 3.3 to compensate for that? am i understanding this correctly?

Sounds like you have the right idea!

[tex]I = 2/5 m r^2[/tex]

[tex]r_2 = 6^{1/3}r_1[/tex]

[tex]I_2 = 6^{2/3}I_1[/tex]

dnt said:
angular momentum is conserved.

and rotational inertia increases as the star expands, hence the angular velocity will go down to conserve angular momentum (L=Iw), right?

and if the volume goes up by 6 times, it means the radius went up by ~1.8 times.

do i then square that value because I=mr^2?

which means the inertia went up by (1.8)^2 = 3.3 and therefore the angular velocity (w) went down by 3.3 to compensate for that? am i understanding this correctly?
Double check your formula for moment of inertia of a solid sphere. You used the basic formula for a point mass or ring. You can derive the formula for a sphere yourself, or look them up: moment of inertia
None the less, the difference in the formulas is a constant, so it doesn't change the proportions. You'll get the same ratio either way.

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is a vector quantity that takes into account an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point.

2. How is angular momentum calculated?

Angular momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion) by its angular velocity (how fast it is rotating) and the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that as long as there are no external forces acting on an object, its angular momentum will remain constant.

4. How is angular momentum related to torque?

Angular momentum and torque are related through the principle of angular momentum conservation. When an external torque is applied to a system, it causes a change in the system's angular momentum. Similarly, a change in angular momentum results in an equal and opposite torque being applied to the system.

5. What are some real-world examples of angular momentum?

Some examples of angular momentum include the rotation of planets and moons around their respective axes, the spinning of a top, the motion of a spinning figure skater, and the rotation of a bicycle wheel. It is also an important concept in the study of atoms and subatomic particles.