Calculating Angular Momentum and Torque for a Particle in the XY Plane

In summary, using the given information about particle P's position vector and velocity vector, as well as the force acting on it, the magnitude of the angular momentum and torque acting on the particle can be calculated. By finding the x and y components of the vectors and using the equations for angular momentum and torque, the values for these quantities can be determined. It is important to consider only the perpendicular components of the velocity and force vectors when calculating angular momentum and torque.
ChazyChazLive

Homework Statement

At the instant of Fig. 11-42, a 6.60 kg particle P has a position vector [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/tex] of magnitude 3.80 m and angle θ1 = 42.0° and a velocity vector [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{v}[/tex] of magnitude 9.70 m/s and angle θ2 = 33.0°. Force [tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/tex], of magnitude 8.20 N and angle θ3 = 30.0° acts on P. All three vectors lie in the xy plane. About the origin, what are the magnitude of (a) the angular momentum of the particle and (b) the torque acting on the particle?

3bvb7.gif

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = r x F
l = r x p = m (r x v)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the x and y components of r and v.
I used those in the 2nd equation above to solve for l which is angular momentum.
Then I used the 1st equation to solve for torque.
I found the x and y components of F and solved for torque.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong here.
I used cross product as indicated. =/

Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your calculations.

rcosΘ = 3.80cos(42)
rsinΘ = 3.80sin(42)

vcosΘ = 9.7cos(33)
vsinΘ = 9.7sin(33)

L = M (R x V)
Lx = (6.60) (3.80cos(42)) (9.7cos(33))
Ly = (6.60) (3.80sin(42)) (9.7sin(33))
L = [tex]\sqrt{Lx^2 + Ly^2}[/tex] = 223

FcosΘ = 8.20cos(30)
FsinΘ = 8.20sin(30)
T = R x F
Tx = (3.80cos(42)) (8.20cos(30))
Ty = (3.80sin(42)) (8.20sin(30))
T = [tex]\sqrt{Tx^2 + Ty^2}[/tex] = 28.3

Is it necessary to the components r?
Take the components of V and F parallel and perpendicular to r.
Only perpendicular components will contribute to angular moment and torque.

Oh okay I see my mistake now.
Thank you very much =]

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is defined as the product of the object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the tendency of an object to continue rotating at a constant rate.

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is defined as the product of the force applied and the distance from the axis of rotation. In other words, it is the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed axis.

What is the relationship between angular momentum and torque?

According to Newton's second law, the net torque on an object is equal to the rate of change of its angular momentum. This means that if the torque acting on an object is zero, its angular momentum will remain constant.

How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a closed system, meaning that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant. This is due to the fact that external torques are balanced by equal and opposite internal torques within the system.

What are some real-life examples of angular momentum and torque?

Some common examples of angular momentum and torque in everyday life include the rotation of a bicycle wheel, the swinging of a pendulum, and the spinning of a top. In addition, the motion of planets and other celestial bodies can also be described using these concepts.