Angular motion with constant acceleration

In summary, the problem involves finding the time it takes for a fan to come to rest, given its initial angular velocity and angular acceleration. This can be solved using the formula \Delta t = \frac{-\omega_\text{initial}}{\alpha}.
kyin01
[SOLVED] Angular motion with constant acceleration

Homework Statement

1-13.png

Homework Equations

[tex]\varpi[/tex]= [tex]\varpi[/tex](inital) + [tex]\alpha[/tex]t

The Attempt at a Solution

I understood part A and Part b,
What I don't understand is how to do Part C.
What I did was divide the average angular velocity with acceleration. But I don't get why or a more understanding method to do this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular acceleration is a measure of the rate of change of angular velocity, in other words, provided that the angular acceleration is constant it is the change in angular velocity divided by the time taken. Mathematically, for constant acceleration ([itex]\alpha[/itex]),

[tex]\alpha = \frac{\Delta \omega}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Which can be rearranged,

[tex]\Rightarrow \Delta t = \frac{\Delta \omega}{\alpha}[/tex]

or,

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{\omega_\text{final} - \omega_\text{initial}}{\alpha}[/tex]

In the case of part (c) you want to know how long it takes for the fan to come to rest, i.e. the final angular velocity is zero. Hence,

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{- \omega_\text{initial}}{\alpha}[/tex]

Does that make sense?

Ahh that makes crystal clear perfect sense. Thank you so much Hootenanny!

1. What is angular motion with constant acceleration?

Angular motion with constant acceleration is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path at a constant rate, with its velocity increasing or decreasing at a constant rate. This is also known as uniform circular motion.

2. How is angular motion with constant acceleration different from linear motion with constant acceleration?

Angular motion with constant acceleration differs from linear motion with constant acceleration in that the acceleration is directed towards the center of the circular path rather than in a straight line. This results in a change in direction of the velocity vector, rather than just a change in magnitude.

3. What is the equation for angular motion with constant acceleration?

The equation for angular motion with constant acceleration is ω = ω₀ + αt, where ω is the final angular velocity, ω₀ is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How is angular displacement calculated in angular motion with constant acceleration?

The angular displacement in angular motion with constant acceleration can be calculated using the equation θ = ω₀t + ½αt², where θ is the angular displacement, ω₀ is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular motion with constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of angular motion with constant acceleration include the motion of a Ferris wheel, the spinning of a top, and the rotation of a washing machine drum. Any circular motion where the speed is increasing or decreasing at a constant rate can be considered angular motion with constant acceleration.