Angular size in degrees problem,

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the angular size of distant objects using the formula 57° (w/d), where w is the width of the object and d is its distance. The conversation also touches on the difference between radians and degrees and how to convert between the two.
astru025

Homework Statement

For distant objects, the angular size in degrees can be approximated as 57° (w/d), where w is the width of the object and d is its distance. What is the angular size of the headlights on a car 13 km away if the headlights are 1.5 m apart?

Homework Equations

D/w

The Attempt at a Solution

13 km to m = 13000 m. 1.5 m / 13000 m = 1.15E-4. This answer was incorrect and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be really nice, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "57° (w/d)" mean?

Are you sure it doesn't say "0.57(w/d)" ?

I ask because the correct angle would be about Cos-1(w/d) which is 0.66 E-4 and..

0.66/1.15 = 0.57

astru025 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

13 km to m = 13000 m. 1.5 m / 13000 m = 1.15E-4. This answer was incorrect and I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be really nice, thanks!

The answer is not incorrect but it is in radians.
Your problem "expects" you to calculate in degrees. Why don't you just apply the full formula given in the text? Multiply by 57 degree.
The factor of 57 is the approximate conversion factor between degrees and radians. (57 degrees/radian).

Okay thanks I did 57 x (1.5/13000) and got .0066 degrees which was correct. Thanks

The formula you are using (D/w) is actually for calculating the distance of an object based on its angular size and physical size. In this problem, we are trying to find the angular size of the object based on its physical size and distance. The correct formula to use would be w/d, where w is the width of the object and d is the distance.

In this case, the angular size of the headlights on a car 13 km away would be 1.5 m / 13000 m = 0.000115 degrees. This is a very small angle, which is expected for distant objects.

It is important to understand the difference between the two formulas and when to use them. Keep in mind that the D/w formula is used when you know the angular size and want to find the distance, while the w/d formula is used when you know the physical size and distance and want to find the angular size.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Keep practicing and remember to always double check your formulas and units to ensure accurate results. Good luck with your studies!

What is angular size?

Angular size refers to the size of an object as seen from a specific point of observation, measured in degrees. It takes into account both the physical size of the object and its distance from the observer.

How is angular size measured?

Angular size is measured by determining the angle formed between two lines drawn from the observer's eye to the opposite edges of the object. This angle is then expressed in degrees.

Why is angular size important in astronomy?

In astronomy, angular size is important because it allows us to accurately measure the size of objects in the sky, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also helps us understand the distance between objects and their position in the sky.

What is the relationship between angular size and distance?

The angular size of an object decreases as the distance between the object and the observer increases. This means that the same object will appear smaller when viewed from a greater distance.

How can I calculate the angular size of an object?

To calculate the angular size of an object, you need to know the physical size of the object and its distance from the observer. You can then use trigonometry to determine the angle formed between two lines connecting the observer's eye to the opposite edges of the object.