Angular Velocity and Angular Acceleration help

In summary, the four situations described involve a fan's rotation either speeding up or slowing down while moving in either the clockwise or counterclockwise direction. The question is which cases result in a positive angular acceleration. Based on the given information, options II and III as well as options I and IV would result in positive angular acceleration. However, it can also be concluded that angular acceleration is always positive.
layla2525

Homework Statement

Consider four situations: I) a fan's rotation is speeding up while going in the clockwise direction; II) it is speeding up while going in the counterclockwise direction; III) it is slowing down while going in the clockwise direction; and IV) it is slowing down while going in the counterclockwise direction. In which cases is the angular acceleration positive?

I & II

III & IV

II & III

I & IV

Angular acceleration is always positive

Homework Equations

I know that angular counter clock wise acceleration is positive and clockwise is negative...

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
so what do you think the correct answer is

2 and 3

layla2525 said:
2 and 3

so like is that a guess or do you have reasons for picking those?

In all four situations, the angular acceleration is positive. This is because angular acceleration is defined as the rate of change of angular velocity, and in all four situations, the angular velocity is increasing. The direction of rotation (clockwise or counterclockwise) does not affect the sign of the angular acceleration. Therefore, the correct answer is "Angular acceleration is always positive."

1. What is the difference between angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity refers to the rate of change of angular displacement, while angular acceleration refers to the rate of change of angular velocity. In simpler terms, angular velocity measures how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures how quickly the rotation is changing.

2. How are angular velocity and angular acceleration related?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related through the formula a = rα, where a is the angular acceleration, r is the distance from the center of rotation, and α is the angular velocity. This means that as the distance from the center of rotation increases, the same angular velocity will result in a lower angular acceleration.

3. What are the units of angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s), while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2). However, they can also be measured in degrees per second (deg/s) and degrees per second squared (deg/s^2).

4. How do angular velocity and angular acceleration affect rotational motion?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration play a crucial role in determining the motion of objects that are rotating around a fixed axis. They determine the speed and direction of rotation, as well as the rate at which the rotation is changing. This can affect the stability, balance, and overall behavior of the rotating object.

5. How can I calculate angular velocity and angular acceleration?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time, while angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. Both can also be calculated using the formulas ω = θ/t and α = ω/t, respectively, where ω is angular velocity, θ is angular displacement, and t is time.