Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of our solar system and the role of an accretion disk in this process. It is explained that the disk spins due to its angular velocity, but the question remains of how the particles attained this velocity. The concept of gravity pulling sideways is also addressed, and a link to a forum is provided for further information.
Vodkacannon
[SOLVED]Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk

[SOLVED]
According to astronomy our solar system was created about 4.5 billion years ago when the nebula of an exploded supernova accreted to form a stellar mass known as our sun.

They say that this "accretion disk" or mass of clumping particles spun around due to its angular velocity.

Now I ask you how did those particles attain an angular velocity?

It's not like gravity pulls side ways. If there's a 3D field of gas and dust suspended in space, the particles clump together very slowly because of the fundamental gravitational force. somewhere in the center it starts to become dense and then even more particles move there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but gravity dosen't pull sideways, it pulls inward towards the largest collection of mass, just like here on earth, I'm being pulled on the y axis.

There has to be something I'm missing that causes this particle disk to spin.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is the Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk?

The Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk refers to the rotational speed at which particles in a nebula accretion disk are moving around a central object, such as a star or black hole. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is the Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk calculated?

The Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk can be calculated using the formula ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity of a particle in the disk, and r is the distance from the central object.

3. What factors affect the Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk?

The Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk can be affected by several factors, including the mass and size of the central object, the density and temperature of the nebula, and the distance of the particle from the central object. Other factors such as magnetic fields and the presence of other objects in the disk can also have an impact.

4. Why is the Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk important to study?

Studying the Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk can provide valuable insights into the formation and evolution of planetary systems. It can also help us understand the dynamics of accretion disks in other astrophysical objects, such as galaxies and quasars.

5. How is the Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk measured?

The Angular Velocity of a Nebula Accretion Disk can be measured using various observational techniques, such as spectroscopy, radio interferometry, and polarimetry. These techniques allow scientists to analyze the motion of particles in the disk and calculate their angular velocities.