Solving Integral of ln(2x+1)dx with By Parts Method

• Thread starter mugzieee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about solving an integral using the "by parts" method. The person is having trouble and another person suggests making a substitution of 2x+1 = u to make the integral easier to solve.
mugzieee
Hey guys i keep getting stuck with this:
integral of ( ln(2x+1)dx)
im supposed to use by parts
heres what i have done
u=ln(2x+1)
du=2/2x+1
dv=dx
v=x

then i apply the formula uv-vdu
and i end up with another integral I am supposed to use by parts for:
integral of(2x/2x+1 dx)
heres what i have done for that integral
u=2x
.5du=dx
dv=1/2x+1
v=ln(2x+1)

then i apply the formula again, and since i have the same integal i stared wit, i add it to the lef side etc etc... but i don't get the correct answer...what does it look lie I am doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Make a substitution first.

[tex] 2x+1 = u [/tex]

And then you'd have to integrate something proportional to [itex] \int \ln u \ du [/itex] which is really easy.

Daniel.

Math is easy once you accept the fact that substitution is the way to go ;)

so make the u=2x+1 substitution in the first step of the problm?

Yes as dexter noted

[tex] \int \ln (2x+1) dx [/tex]

[tex] u = 2x +1 [/tex]

[tex] du = 2dx [/tex]

[tex] \int \ln (u) \frac{du}{2} [/tex]

gotcha, thanx.

1. What is the first step in solving the integral of ln(2x+1)dx using the By Parts method?

The first step is to identify which part of the integral can be differentiated and which part can be integrated. In this case, we can let u = ln(2x+1) and dv = dx.

2. How do you choose which part to differentiate and which part to integrate in the By Parts method?

The general rule is to choose u as the part that becomes simpler when differentiated, and dv as the part that becomes easier to integrate. In this case, differentiating ln(2x+1) will result in 1/(2x+1), which is simpler than the original function.

3. What is the formula for solving integrals using the By Parts method?

The formula is ∫u*dv = uv - ∫v*du, where u and v are the chosen parts and du and dv are their respective differentials.

4. How do you solve for the resulting integral after applying the By Parts method?

After applying the formula, you will have a new integral that is hopefully simpler to solve. If not, you may need to use the By Parts method again on the new integral. Continue this process until you reach an integral that can be easily solved.

5. Are there any tips for successfully solving integrals using the By Parts method?

One tip is to choose u as a logarithmic function and dv as a polynomial function, as this often leads to simpler integrals. Additionally, it may be helpful to try different options for u and dv if your first choice does not lead to a solvable integral.