Another CM problem with var. density

• Thread starter scorpius1782
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Density
In summary, the problem involves finding the position of the center of mass of a cylinder with dimensions radius=R and height=2L, with density of ##\rho=\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))##. The formula to use is ##r_{cm}=\frac{\int\vec{r}dm}{\int dm}##, and the first step is to calculate the three moments for x, y, and z directions using the formula ##\langle \int x~dm,\int y~dm, \int z~dm\rangle##. These moments can then be used to find the positions in cylindrical coordinates by substituting ##x=scos(\phi)## and ##y=ssin(\phi)
scorpius1782

Homework Statement

This is similar to another problem I've posted but is supposedly more difficult.
Cylinder with dimensions radius=R and height=2L has density of ##\rho=\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))##

Find the position of the cylinders center of mass.

Homework Equations

##r_{cm}=\frac{\int\vec{r}dm}{\int dm}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have Mass##=\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s ds d \phi dz##
So, ##2L\frac{R^2}{2}\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))d \phi##
=##2L\frac{R^2}{2}(\rho_o2\pi+\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_ocos(\phi))d \phi##
where ##\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_ocos(\phi)=0##
so M=##2L\frac{R^2}{2}(\rho_o2\pi)=2LR^2\rho_o\pi##For the positions then:

##\int_0^R\int_0^{2L}\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(s) ds d \phi dz## for ##\hat{s}##
##\int_0^R\int_0^{2L}\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(\phi) ds d \phi dz## for ##\hat{\phi}##
##\int_0^R\int_0^{2L}\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(z) ds d \phi dz## for ##\hat{z}##

Then I should just divide each integral by the mass from before. Is this the correct method? It seems a little too straightforward for being "more difficult."Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
scorpius1782 said:

Homework Statement

This is similar to another problem I've posted but is supposedly more difficult.
Cylinder with dimensions radius=R and height=2L has density of ##\rho=\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))##

Find the position of the cylinders center of mass.

Homework Equations

##r_{cm}=\frac{\int\vec{r}dm}{\int dm}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I have Mass##=\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s ds d \phi dz##

Are ##ds,d\phi,dz## what are usually called ##dr,d\theta,dz## in cylindrical coordinates? If so, why does ##s## go from ##0## to ##2\pi##? If not, what are they?

So, ##2L\frac{R^2}{2}\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))d \phi##
=##2L\frac{R^2}{2}(\rho_o2\pi+\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_ocos(\phi))d \phi##
where ##\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_ocos(\phi)=0##
so M=##2L\frac{R^2}{2}(\rho_o2\pi)=2LR^2\rho_o\pi##For the positions then:

##\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(s) ds d \phi dz## for ##\hat{s}##
##\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(\phi) ds d \phi dz## for ##\hat{\phi}##
##\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(z) ds d \phi dz## for ##\hat{z}##

What is this ##s()## function that just showed up in the integrand? And where did these formulas come from?

Last edited:
Sorry, it's a little annoying to have physics do cylindrical one way and math classes another.
cylindrical here is ##(s,\phi,z)##

I used the volume ##d\tau## for cylindrical which is ##d\tau=(s)dsd \phi dz##

I may not have the integrals in the right order? I want s to go from 0→R, ##\phi##: 0→2##\pi## and z: 0→2L

Perhaps the s variable isn't required for the position integrals but only the volume? I assumed that it would be.

I think the more serious problem is those last 3 formulas in the first place. You need the first moments in the x,y,z directions, requiring corresponding moment arms in the integrals, expressed in cylindrical coordinates. And what you should be calculating, if I understand your notation, is ##\hat x,\hat y, \hat z##. Once you have the centers of mass in the three directions ##(\bar x,\bar y, \bar z)## you could convert that to cylindrical coordinates.

I'm sorry, I don't follow what you're saying.

Your first formula in your original post has the formula$$
r_{cm} = \frac {\int \vec r~dm}{\int dm}$$Do you understand that formula? There, ##\vec r## is the position vector ##\langle x,y,z\rangle##. That numerator is a vector$$
\langle \int x~dm,\int y~dm, \int z~dm\rangle$$You need to calculate those three integrals for your numerators. They will give your three moments you need for your numerators.

I don't understand why I cannot leave it in cylindrical coordinates. It just seem that changing to cartesian makes this really complicated. for instance ##s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## and ##\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})##.

Or could I simply do ##x=scos(\phi)## and ##y=sin(\phi)##? The only problem with these two I have is trying to figure out what the limits should be. Should I further substitute for ##\phi##? Or can I just evaluate the integral as:

##\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(scos(\phi)) ds d \phi dz##

Where ##x=scos(\phi)## replaced the (s) from before.

scorpius1782 said:
I don't understand why I cannot leave it in cylindrical coordinates. It just seem that changing to cartesian makes this really complicated. for instance ##s=\sqrt{x^2+y^2}## and ##\phi=tan^{-1}(\frac{y}{x})##.

You don't have to change to rectangular. Just include the moment arms.

Or could I simply do ##x=scos(\phi)## and ##y=ssin(\phi)##?
Yes.

The only problem with these two I have is trying to figure out what the limits should be. Should I further substitute for ##\phi##? Or can I just evaluate the integral as:

##\int_0^R\int_0^2L\int_0^{2\pi}\rho_o(1+cos(\phi))s(scos(\phi)) ds d \phi dz##

Where ##x=scos(\phi)## replaced the (s) from before.

Yes, that's the idea. But put your limits in the right order for the order of your variables. I have to leave for now, but you should be able to take it from here.

Likes 1 person
Wonderful, thank you for the help!

1. What is "Another CM problem with var. density" all about?

"Another CM problem with var. density" refers to a common problem faced by scientists and researchers in the field of computational mechanics. It involves dealing with materials or structures that have varying densities, which can create challenges in accurately predicting their behavior and response to external forces.

2. Why is "Another CM problem with var. density" important to study?

Understanding and solving the challenges posed by "Another CM problem with var. density" is crucial for accurately modeling and predicting the behavior of real-world structures and materials. This knowledge can have significant implications for industries such as aerospace, civil engineering, and materials science.

3. What are some potential solutions to "Another CM problem with var. density"?

Researchers have proposed various approaches to tackling "Another CM problem with var. density". These include using advanced numerical methods, developing new algorithms, and incorporating experimental data into computational models. It is an ongoing area of research with no one definitive solution yet.

4. How does "Another CM problem with var. density" impact real-world applications?

The challenges posed by "Another CM problem with var. density" can have significant consequences in industries where accurate predictions of material behavior are crucial. For example, in aerospace, miscalculations due to this problem can lead to failures in aircraft structures, risking the safety of passengers and crew.

5. What are some future research directions for "Another CM problem with var. density"?

As computational methods and technologies continue to advance, researchers are exploring new avenues to address "Another CM problem with var. density". Some potential areas of future research include incorporating machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques, developing more accurate material models, and improving the scalability of computational methods to handle larger and more complex problems.