Another double integral problem

In summary, the conversation involves sketching the region of integration and evaluating the integral by choosing the best order of integration. The integral is solved using integration by parts and a substitution, but the last part of the integration becomes too complex to solve by hand and requires a prepared solution.
8614smith

Homework Statement

sketch the region of integration, and evaluate the integral by choosing the best order of integration
[tex]\int^{8}_{0}\int^{2}_{x^{1/3}}\frac{dydx}{y^{4}+1}[/tex]

Homework Equations

integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

after sketching the graph and changing the limits I've got to:
[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\int^{y^3}_{0}\frac{dydx}{y^{4}+1}[/tex]

integrating:

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\left[\frac{x}{y^{4}+1}\right]^{y^3}_{0}dy=\int^{2}_{0}\frac{y^3}{{y^4}+1}dy[/tex]

[tex]u = {y^3}[/tex]

[tex]u' = 3{y^2}[/tex]

[tex]v = ln({y^4}+1)[/tex]

[tex]v' = \frac{1}{{y^4}+1}[/tex]

[tex]\left[{y^3}ln({y^4}+1)-\int3{y^2}ln({y^4}+1)\right][/tex]

[tex]u = ln({y^4}+1)[/tex]

[tex]u' = \frac{1}{{y^4}+1}[/tex]

[tex]v = {y^3}[/tex]

[tex]v' = 3{y^2}[/tex]

[tex] = {y^3}ln({y^4}+1)-\int{y^3}\frac{1}{{y^4}+1}[/tex]

And this is where i get stuck as its just an infinite loop of integration by parts, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
From here

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\frac{y^3}{{y^4}+1}dy[/tex]

Just sub u=y4+1EDIT:

Also

[tex]\frac{d}{dy}[ln(y^4+1)] \neq \frac{1}{y^4 +1}[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
From here

[tex]\int^{2}_{0}\frac{y^3}{{y^4}+1}dy[/tex]

Just sub u=y4+1

EDIT:

Also

[tex]\frac{d}{dy}[ln(y^4+1)] \neq \frac{1}{y^4 +1}[/tex]

Ok I've done that and i got the right answer :) but what is [tex]\int\frac{1}{{y^4}+1}[/tex] if its not [tex]ln({y^4}+1)[/tex] ?

I remember how to integrate ln functions it using the joke:
Q: what's the integral of 1 over cabin?
A: log cabin

8614smith said:
Ok I've done that and i got the right answer :) but what is [tex]\int\frac{1}{{y^4}+1}[/tex] if its not [tex]ln({y^4}+1)[/tex] ?

That integral is too hard to be calculated by hand. But I've prepared it for you to not make mistakes like that: [tex]1/8\,\sqrt {2}\ln \left( {\frac {{x}^{2}+x\sqrt {2}+1}{{x}^{2}-x \sqrt {2}+1}} \right) +1/4\,\sqrt {2}\arctan \left( x\sqrt {2}+1\right) +1/4\,\sqrt {2}\arctan \left( x\sqrt {2}-1 \right) [/tex].

AB

Altabeh said:
That integral is too hard to be calculated by hand. But I've prepared it for you to not make mistakes like that: [tex]1/8\,\sqrt {2}\ln \left( {\frac {{x}^{2}+x\sqrt {2}+1}{{x}^{2}-x \sqrt {2}+1}} \right) +1/4\,\sqrt {2}\arctan \left( x\sqrt {2}+1\right) +1/4\,\sqrt {2}\arctan \left( x\sqrt {2}-1 \right) [/tex].

AB

I'll have to take your word on that one, let's just hope it doesn't come up in my exam!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It is represented by two nested integrals and is commonly used in calculus and physics.

2. How do I solve a double integral problem?

To solve a double integral problem, you must first determine the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. Then, you can evaluate the inner integral and substitute the result into the outer integral. Finally, you can solve the resulting single integral to find the answer.

3. What is the purpose of a double integral?

The purpose of a double integral is to calculate the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It is often used in applications such as calculating the mass of an object or determining the work done by a force.

4. Can a double integral be solved using other methods?

Yes, a double integral can also be solved using other methods such as using polar coordinates or using the concept of iterated integrals. However, the most common and straightforward method is using the nested integrals approach.

5. Are there any real-world applications of double integrals?

Yes, double integrals have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the volume and surface area of objects, as well as to solve optimization problems.