What is the limit of the given expression when n goes to infinity?

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the limit of the expression \frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}} when n goes to infinity is equal to 1. This can be found by dividing the numerator and denominator by \sqrt{n} and then multiplying by the conjugate of the denominator. After simplifying, the limit is equal to \frac{\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+5}}.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I've tried multiplicating by the conjugate of the denominator and of the numerator but this leads to nothing I can see. How can this limit be evaluated? (the limit is to be taken when n goes to infinity)

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

The answer is 1.

Thanks for helping.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried multiplicating by the conjugate of the denominator and of the numerator but this leads to nothing I can see.

Show us what you got when you did this.

Divide the numerator and the denominator by [tex]\sqrt{n}[/tex].

Hurkyl said:
Show us what you got when you did this.
Will do tomorrow. I got to go to bed urgent.

Leong said:
If you mean "take [itex]\sqrt{n}[/itex] out of the num and denom", when you take the limit you get the undeterminate form 0/0. If that's not what you mean, I don't know what you mean. :smile:

Ok, so

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}} \frac{\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n}} = \frac{\sqrt{n+7}\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n+7}\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n+5}\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n+5}\sqrt{n}}{2}[/tex]

which may be factorised into...

[tex]\frac{(\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5})(\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n})}{2}[/tex]

If we multiply by the other conjugate, we get

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}} \frac{\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+5}} = \frac{12}{\sqrt{n+2}\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+2}\sqrt{n+5} -\sqrt{n+7}\sqrt{n}-\sqrt{n+5}\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

which may be factorised into

[tex]\frac{12}{(\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n})(\sqrt{n+5}+\sqrt{n+7})}[/tex]

You've made quite a few errors here
Multiply with 1*1 in this manner:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}}=\frac{\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+5}}*\frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}}*\frac{\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n}}[/tex]
Hence, we get:
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+7}-\sqrt{n+5}}{\sqrt{n+2}-\sqrt{n}}=\frac{\sqrt{n+2}+\sqrt{n}}{\sqrt{n+7}+\sqrt{n+5}}[/tex]

Last edited:
And THEN...
Leong said:
:-p

Ok I get it now. Thanks everyone!

FAQ: What is the limit of the given expression when n goes to infinity?

What is the concept of "Another find the limit"?

"Another find the limit" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value, often denoted as "x". This is known as the limit of the function and is an important concept in calculus.

Why is finding limits important in mathematics?

Finding limits is important in mathematics because it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and understand their properties. It also helps us to solve complex problems and make predictions about the behavior of a function.

How do you find the limit of a function?

To find the limit of a function, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, and rationalization. You can also use the properties of limits, such as the sum, difference, and product rules, to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

What are some common types of limits?

Some common types of limits include one-sided limits, where the input approaches the limit from only one direction; infinite limits, where the function approaches positive or negative infinity; and limits at infinity, where the input approaches infinity. Other types of limits include limits of trigonometric and logarithmic functions.

How can finding limits be applied in real-world situations?

Finding limits can be applied in various real-world situations, such as predicting the growth of a population, analyzing the behavior of a physical system, and understanding the properties of financial investments. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve complex problems and make accurate predictions.

Back