How to Find the Coefficient of Friction for a Pulled Sled?

• Thread starter pinky2468
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a 20.0kg sled being pulled across a horizontal surface at a constant velocity. The pulling force has a magnitude of 80.0N and is directed at an angle of 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. The coefficient of friction needs to be determined, and the participants discuss using Newton's First Law and calculating the normal force and friction force in the x and y directions. The final solution is that the coefficient of friction is 0.44.
pinky2468
Ok here is another problem that I am stuck on!
A 20.0kg sled is being pulled across a horizontal surface at a constant velocity. The pulling force has a magnitude of 80.0N and is directed at an angle 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. Determine the coefficient of friction.
I think that Fn=(20.0)(9.80)(cos 30) and I know that uk=Fk/Fn and a=0m/s(sqr) but I am stuck on how to go about finding Fk?
Am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're using Newton's First Law [tex] \sum^n_{i=0} \vec{F_{i}} = 0 \Rightarrow \vec{V} = constant [/tex] that's good :smile: .

Now, Remember you got a weight pointing down, the normal force pointing up, friction that always points against movement, so in this case is pointing left, and you got a force pointing at angle 30 degrees, so put the force in its components Fy and Fx.

[Edits: I was just checking LaTex :biggrin:]

Last edited:
If Fn is normal force then you are not calculating it right.

So is it W=20(9.80)=196N and then 80(cos 30)-Ff=0 and Ff=69N
I know that something is still wrong because I am still getting the wrong answer!

Y-axis:

[tex] F_{y} + N = mg [/tex]

[tex] N = mg - F_{y}[/tex]

X-axis:

[tex] F_{f} = F_{x} [/tex]

[tex] \mu N = F_{x} [/tex]

By the way your problem is asking:
Determine the coefficient of friction.
not the force of friction!

If you notice Coefficient of Friction has no units and its represented as [tex] \mu [/tex]

what is N, is that the normal force?

From what I did, your Ff is right, but you need to solve for Fn too.

Sum forces in each direction, set it equal to Ma

Sum in the Y = -m*g + Fn + 80sin(30) = ma = 0 // NOT ACCELERATING

Sum in the X = 90cos(30) - Ff = 0 // Not accelerating again.

So solve top for Fn, solve bottom for Ff, then use Ff = mu*Fn

I get 0.44 = mu_k

N is the normal force, yes, i represented it as such

1. What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object, as it acts in the opposite direction of the motion. It also causes wear and tear on surfaces that are in contact with each other.

3. What are the different types of friction?

There are four main types of friction: static friction, sliding friction, rolling friction, and fluid friction. Static friction occurs when two objects are not moving relative to each other but have the potential to do so. Sliding friction occurs when two objects are moving against each other. Rolling friction happens when an object rolls on a surface. Fluid friction occurs when an object moves through a fluid, such as air or water.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a slippery surface between two objects. Smoother surfaces can also reduce friction, as there are fewer irregularities for the objects to rub against. Additionally, reducing the weight or pressure of an object can also decrease friction.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some real-life examples of friction include walking or running (sliding friction between the feet and ground), riding a bike (rolling friction between the wheels and ground), writing with a pencil (static friction between the pencil and paper), and rubbing your hands together to create heat (sliding friction between your hands).