Another problem with kirchhoff's law and parallel cells

In summary, using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law, the current in the 2 ohm resistor can be calculated by setting up the equation i3 = i1 - i2 and using the equations 2 - i1 = 2.i2 and 1 - 2(i1 - i2) + 2.i2 = 0. This results in a value of 0.375A for i2, which is correct. The book may have a mistake in their answer of 0.42A.
alexburns1991

Homework Statement

Using kirchhoff's laws, calculate the current in the 2 ohm resistor.
Picture of the circuit attached.

Homework Equations

kirchhoff's laws, and ohms law

The Attempt at a Solution

i3 = i1 - i2

then i used kirchhoff's law to get:
2 - i1 = 2.i2
and
1 - 2 ( i1 - i2 ) + 2.i2 = 0 [i added the value because the direction of the "potential walk" is opposite to the current through the resistor]

using these, i obtained a value of 0.375A as the current i2, but the book says that the answer is 0.42A, have i made a mistake, or is the book wrong [again!]?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 344
Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is correct.

ehild

I would first check my calculations to ensure that I did not make any mistakes. I would also double-check the circuit diagram to make sure that all components are labeled correctly and that my calculations are based on the correct values. If I am confident that my calculations are correct, I would then consider the possibility that there may be some error in the book's answer. I would suggest trying to solve the problem using different methods or asking a colleague to double-check the solution. If the discrepancy is still present, it may be worth reaching out to the author or publisher of the book for clarification. It is also important to keep in mind that in real-world scenarios, there may be slight variations in values due to factors such as resistance in wires or imperfect components.

1. What is Kirchhoff's Law?

Kirchhoff's Law is a fundamental principle in electric circuit analysis that states that the sum of currents entering a junction or node in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction or node. This law is based on the principle of conservation of charge.

2. How does Kirchhoff's Law apply to parallel cells?

In parallel cells, Kirchhoff's Law states that the total current entering the parallel circuit must equal the sum of the currents through each individual cell. This is because the cells are connected in parallel, meaning that they provide separate paths for the flow of current.

3. What is the problem with Kirchhoff's Law and parallel cells?

The problem with Kirchhoff's Law and parallel cells is that it assumes that the cells in the circuit have the same internal resistance. In reality, the internal resistance of the cells can vary, leading to unequal distribution of currents and potential differences within the circuit.

4. How does this problem affect the overall performance of the circuit?

This problem can cause the overall performance of the circuit to be less efficient, as some cells may be working harder than others and can lead to imbalances in the circuit. This can result in decreased battery life and potential damage to the cells.

5. Are there any solutions to this problem?

One solution to this problem is to use cells with similar internal resistance values in a parallel circuit. Another solution is to use a balancing circuit, which can adjust the current flowing through each cell to keep them balanced. Additionally, using a series-parallel configuration rather than a pure parallel circuit can also help mitigate the effects of unequal internal resistance.