Acceleration of a Pulley System?

In summary, the problem involves two bodies, A and B, on an incline with coefficients of friction Ms=0.56 and Mk=0.25. The weight of B is 102N and the weight of A is 32N. The task is to find the acceleration of the system in three different scenarios: a) B is initially at rest, b) B is moving up the incline, and c) B is moving down the incline. The equations needed to solve this problem are not specified. The difference between the three scenarios is not clear and further clarification is needed. A link to the original question is provided for reference.
allsmiles

Homework Statement

Body B in the figure weighs 102N and Body A weighs 32N, The coefficients of friction between B and the incline are Ms=0.56 and Mk=0.25. Find the acceleration of the system if
a) B is initially at rest
b) B is moving up the incline
c) B is moving down the incline

Homework Equations

i don't understand which equations i would need

The Attempt at a Solution

what's the difference in situation between a, b, c i don't understand how i could solve them differently
i am so confused!

Physics news on Phys.org
this is the original question example 5
i get how to get the acceleration, but what's the difference between part a,b,c

opps: forgot the link: people.uncw.edu/ganl/phy201
go to chapter 6, example 5:)

Last edited:
allsmiles said:
this is the original question example 5
i get how to get the acceleration, but what's the difference between part a,b,c

opps: forgot the link: people.uncw.edu/ganl/phy201/chapter_6.ppt

I gave a post about this on the other problem.
Your link does not work so if someone else wants to help tonight you might want to change it.

1. How does a pulley system work?

A pulley system works by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys to redirect the direction of force applied to an object. The pulleys work together to distribute the load and make it easier to lift or move heavy objects.

2. What are the different types of pulleys used in a pulley system?

There are three main types of pulleys used in a pulley system: fixed pulleys, movable pulleys, and compound pulleys. Fixed pulleys have a fixed axle and only change the direction of the force. Movable pulleys have a movable axle and are used to reduce the effort needed to lift a load. Compound pulleys combine fixed and movable pulleys to increase the mechanical advantage.

3. What is the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system is the ratio of the output force to the input force. This is determined by the number of pulleys in the system. The more pulleys involved, the greater the mechanical advantage, making it easier to lift or move heavy loads.

4. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be calculated by dividing the load (output force) by the effort (input force). For example, if a pulley system has a load of 200 lbs and an effort of 50 lbs, the mechanical advantage would be 4 (200/50 = 4).

5. What are some common uses for a pulley system?

Pulley systems have many practical applications, including lifting and moving heavy objects, raising and lowering flags, and operating elevators. They are also commonly used in exercise equipment and rock climbing equipment to provide mechanical advantage and make tasks easier to perform.