Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation with imaginary coefficients and hysteresis. The initial attempt at solving it using an educated guess was incorrect and a more general form of the equation is suggested. The person also mentions needing to take a course in solving differential equations and suggests looking up the solution for a second-order system with damping. They also mention the difficulties of describing a system with hysteresis and suggest using advanced math such as describing functions.
Remixex

Homework Statement

Given
X'' + iG^2 X + w^2 X = 0
G^2 = h/m
w^2= k/m
What would be a good "educated guess" to solve that differential equation?
My oscillations and waves teacher asked this on a test and since I didn't see anything depending on the speed of the object X assumed it was a really weird kind of Simple Harmonic Motion.
We were all wrong x.x
I actually don't know if to ask this here or in the math forums

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ansatz= Acos(ϑt + ϒ)[/B][/B]
It was wrong, i tried to factor iG^2 and w^2 into one big "harmonic" frequency and solve like an SHM

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to explain what the system is you're describing with the equation.
What is X? displacement?
what is G? what does h/m mean? I know m is mass but what is h?
is i = √(-1)?
Is "Ansatz" your guess as to the solution? not a commonly used term, at least not in the U.S.

Ansatz means educated guess, you "guess" the solution to the differential equation

a more general form would be
mX'' + hXi + kX = 0 with m mass, h hysteretic coefficient and k spring constant (all are real constants)
I just don't know how to solve a differential equation with a imaginary (i) number within it, every time i search it takes me into Real damped systems with imaginary roots (but not imaginary coefficients)
i tried solving the system like a harmonic oscillation and it was wrong

You may need to take a course in solving differential equations. I don't see that the fact that one of the coefficients of a linear ordinary differential equation (ODE) with constant coefficients is imaginary should be a problem. There is formal math for handling complex numbers.

Anyway, your Ansatz is wrong; it applies to a system without damping, i.e. h = 0.

Since you may not have a background in solving ODE's, look up the solution to the second-order system with damping, i.e. x'' + bx' + kx = 0. You also need a finite initial condition if you want the non-trivial solution (trivial is x = 0).

You also haven't described your system verbally which sort of ties our hands. It's hard for me to imagine that making the damping term imaginary suffices to describe a system with hysteresis. A system with hysteresis requires very advanced math, called "describing functions".

1. What is the Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation?

The Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of hysteretic systems, such as ferromagnetic materials or mechanical systems with friction. It is based on a set of equations that describe the relationship between the input and output of the system, taking into account the history of the input.

2. How does the Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation differ from other models?

The Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation is unique in that it takes into account the history of the input, whereas other models often only consider the current input. This makes it more accurate for describing systems with hysteresis, where the output depends on the history of the input.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation?

The Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation has many applications in engineering and physics, such as in the design of magnetic storage devices, control systems for mechanical systems with friction, and understanding the behavior of ferromagnetic materials in electrical motors.

4. How is the Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation derived?

The Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation is derived from a combination of mathematical and physical principles, such as energy conservation and the theory of hysteresis. It involves solving a set of differential equations to find the relationship between the input and output of the system.

5. Can the Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation be applied to all systems with hysteresis?

While the Ansatz for Hysteretic oscillation is a powerful model, it may not be applicable to all systems with hysteresis. Its accuracy depends on the specific behavior of the system and the assumptions made in the model. It is important to carefully consider the appropriateness of the Ansatz for each individual application.