Ansoft Maxwell, "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error

In summary, the problem is that the matrix is not recognizing the geometry selection, which is the steel around the center coil. You can try changing the geometry selection to insulator and see if that solves the problem.
In maxwell the moving part is the whole area enclosed by the band object. The error indicate that your band object also covers some other objects that are stationary.

Make one object covering the moving parts of the machine, the outer edges of this object should not touch anything else than vacuum/air. Then right click this object and assign it the parameter band. No other object in your model should be assigned the band parameter.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ansoft Maxwell, cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity e

i have problems with my laptop while making these simulations, so i am thinking to buy a new pc
what specifications would you recommend me for maxwell 3d simulations

reni90 said:
i have problems with my laptop while making these simulations, so i am thinking to buy a new pc
what specifications would you recommend me for maxwell 3d simulations

As powerful as possible.
More RAM -> better (bigger mesh can be applied).
Faster CPU -> faster calcs (multicore is not so usefull since Maxwell will use single core of CPU, unless you use multi-core license).

For a PC.. 16-32GB / +3Ghz (2-4 cores) CPU would be good for not very demanding simulations.

Maxwell: Terminal surface mesh does not fit with conduction path in th

Hi guys,
I run a simulation on Maxwell and got the following warning.
"
Terminal surface mesh does not fit with conduction path in the following bodies {Coil}. Please verify them to ensure no bad effect on solutions! "

I could not identify how to fix the problem. chenging mesh size didn't help me.

Thanks in advance for your help !

Attachments

• geo.jpg
    geo.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 708
Simplify this coil (no rounding). In addition, check if your "region" around model does not touch any element besides coil terminals (coil terminals must lay on "region" box plane).

reni90 said:
i get this message rev (C:/Users/nino/Desktop/maxwell/rev1/)
Maxwell3DDesign1 (Transient)
[error] Band mesh failure: 24 of band mesh nodes are shared by both moving and static objects. (5:40:00 mar 16, 2013)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (5:40:01 mar 16, 2013)

what do i need to do?
Maxwell3DDesign1 (Transient)
[error] Band mesh failure: 9 of band mesh nodes are shared by both moving and static objects. (12:38:16 PM Oct 16, 2014)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (12:38:16 PM Oct 16, 2014)
Please help me.

Create a cylinder which will contain moving parts. Apply band to this cylinder.

Excuse me I have the same problem as your first one. And I can't find "select geometry" option.All I can find are "Select Objects", "Select Faces", "Select Edges", "Select Vertices" and "Select Multi". Could you please tell me how to solve this proiblem more in detail?

What solution type are you using? What do you try to solve?

Fuxue Jin said:
What solution type are you using? What do you try to solve?
I have a detector with a spherical geometry, and there is a little anode ball in the centre of the sphere (the anode is connected with a straight rod). I just want to excite a high volage on the anode ball. But I don't know hou to realize it. And then I want to study the electric field distribution.

You need to use Electrostatic solution, then you can apply Voltage excitation on an object.

Fuxue Jin said:
You need to use Electrostatic solution, then you can apply Voltage excitation on an object.
Thank you very much!

Hello
I have a problem as Reni had in the first page of this topic. I have modeled an asynchronous motor in Maxwell2D. When analyzing the model, I get these messages in Message Manager:

Maxwell2DDesign1 (Transient, XY)
[info] User Defined Primitive: Hs01 is modified from 0 to 1 (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[info] User Defined Primitive: Hs01 is modified from 0 to 1 (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[info] User Defined Primitive: SpanExt is modified from 25 to 34.8382 (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[info] User Defined Primitive: One-conductor length: 158.601 (mm). (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[info] User Defined Primitive: End leakage inductance per coil per turn (4 poles): 0.00020383 (mH). (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[warning] Currently no mesh operations or data link have been created for the setup(s): Setup1. The initial mesh will be used. The initial mesh is usually not fine enough to achieve an accurate solution. (4:09:58 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[error] Maxwell2d solver, process solver2d error: Internal Solver Error: 'Multiple solution domain detected!'. (4:09:58 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (4:09:58 PM Jan 10, 2016)

What are the origins of the two errors?
I am new with Maxwell, so I apologize asking odd questions.

The last error is because the first error.

The first error, I am not sure but wonder if you have defined your solution region. In 2D simulation,the region is called balloon or something like that.

HamidMazaheri said:
Hello
I have a problem as Reni had in the first page of this topic. I have modeled an asynchronous motor in Maxwell2D. When analyzing the model, I get these messages in Message Manager:

Maxwell2DDesign1 (Transient, XY)
[info] User Defined Primitive: SpanExt is modified from 25 to 34.8382 (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[info] User Defined Primitive: One-conductor length: 158.601 (mm). (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[info] User Defined Primitive: End leakage inductance per coil per turn (4 poles): 0.00020383 (mH). (4:09:55 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[warning] Currently no mesh operations or data link have been created for the setup(s): Setup1. The initial mesh will be used. The initial mesh is usually not fine enough to achieve an accurate solution. (4:09:58 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[error] Maxwell2d solver, process solver2d error: Internal Solver Error: 'Multiple solution domain detected!'. (4:09:58 PM Jan 10, 2016)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (4:09:58 PM Jan 10, 2016)

What are the origins of the two errors?
I am new with Maxwell, so I apologize asking odd questions.

You mean that: I should select the edge of the Region and assign it as a Balloon Boundary?
Is it the only Boundary I should assign?

I am not very familiar with 2D simulation. With modern computers, it is very easy to use 3D model with better result. 2D simulation isn't very useful.

HamidMazaheri said:
You mean that: I should select the edge of the Region and assign it as a Balloon Boundary?
Is it the only Boundary I should assign?

Thank you Fuxue Jin.
I think there is sth wrong with running Maxwell. My computer system has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 -4150 CPU @3.50GHz processor. When I run the Maxwell it uses only 25 percent of the processor. Is there any way to dedicate a more portion to Maxwell?

You need additional license to use multiple processors. You can take a look at your settings in Maxwell see if you can use more processors.

HamidMazaheri said:
Thank you Fuxue Jin.
I think there is sth wrong with running Maxwell. My computer system has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 -4150 CPU @3.50GHz processor. When I run the Maxwell it uses only 25 percent of the processor. Is there any way to dedicate a more portion to Maxwell?

Fuxue Jin said:
You need additional license to use multiple processors. You can take a look at your settings in Maxwell see if you can use more processors.
Do you know where I can find "Settings"?

There is something else that seems to be strange and abnormal. I have assigned three series of winding for the Stator of the motor and every winding has some coils. When I change the material of one coil of a winding to vacuum, its current should decrease to zero because of infinite resistance. But nothing changes.
1. Are the assigned coils of a winding connected in series? If so, the current of a winding which contains a vacuum coil should be zero.
2. Or maybe the problem is due to wrong settings of the software.

I have 3 phase 2D Model of Induction machine in Ansys maxwell. For phase-A (one of the three phase)I have 12 coils which I need to connect them in a particular pattern, how I will connect them since there is no option for connecting the coils for a particular winding? I am doing analysis in transient solver.

Verify conduction path 'Path1': For any conduction path that has current excitation(s) specified, either exactly one internal current excitation or at least two external current excitations should be specified. Kindly share the solution. Thank you

Here is the screenshot of error i am having. I know that reason for leakage is coil and excessive region for coil. What can i do to eliminate this current leak? Kindly help regarding this as i am stuck with this for a week. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_20180430_142657.jpg
    IMG_20180430_142657.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 700
hsnprvz said:
Here is the screenshot of error i am having. I know that reason for leakage is coil and excessive region for coil. What can i do to eliminate this current leak? Kindly help regarding this as i am stuck with this for a week. Thank you

You're right. The problem is caused by too large "region". Reduce it's size so your excitation would be on the face of "region".
In your case delete the "region", create a new one with option to "pad individual directions". Then input the parameters but remember that in X direction (-X and +X) it should be 0. In Y and Z input percentages you think will create the region big enough to cover all phenomena you'd like to simulate. Alternatively this can be done via components tree - just open the create region command there and input parameters as mentioned above.

Region is being made according to cylinders i have made. And for coil this region is too big. For my project, i cannot make large coil so i have to stick with this. Is there any other alternative. I just did what you said. Thanks for reply

You can modify the size of "region" the way I just mentioned. Adjust it's size. Does this fix your problem ?

Nope, actually when I set region to 25 or 50 or 100.it is adjusted according to cylinders. 0 means attached to cylinders but still big for coil.

Oh, so the cylinders are not your coil. Okay. So, where's the coil ? cant's see it.

Coil is in front, it is helical one wounded on ferrite cylinderical core. 3 large cylinders are acting as transmission lines. And region is being made according to large cylinders

So you need to adjust your geometry, there's no other way.

Can I give you file? If you can consider once more?

Nope. Try adding some wires to that coil which would act like a power supply.

Okay thank you for your kind responses.

reni90 said:
ok now i have another problem,
Maxwell3DDesign1 (Magnetostatic)
[info] Parametric Analysis on ParametricSetup1 has been started. (1:08:33 jun 01, 2012)
[info] A variation (kut='0deg') has been requested on machine Local Machine (1:08:33 jun 01, 2012)
[error] Could not preserve critical nodes. (1:21:22 jun 01, 2012)
[info] A variation (kut='5deg') has been requested on machine Local Machine (1:21:22 jun 01, 2012)
[error] Could not preserve critical nodes. (1:35:03 jun 01, 2012)
[info] A variation (kut='10deg') has been requested on machine Local Machine (1:35:03 jun 01, 2012)
[error] Parametric Analysis failed - User aborted. (1:45:30 jun 01, 2012)
what does it mean critical nodes?

please, how did you solve this problem?

<h2>1. What does the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error mean?</h2><p>The error means that the current excitation feature in Ansoft Maxwell cannot be applied to a non-planar entity, such as a curved surface or a non-uniform shape. This feature can only be applied to planar entities, such as flat surfaces or uniform shapes.</p><h2>2. Why am I getting the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error?</h2><p>You are getting this error because you are trying to apply the current excitation feature to a non-planar entity. Ansoft Maxwell only allows this feature to be applied to planar entities, so the error is indicating that the feature cannot be used in this case.</p><h2>3. Can I still use the current excitation feature in Ansoft Maxwell if I have a non-planar entity?</h2><p>No, the current excitation feature can only be used on planar entities in Ansoft Maxwell. If you have a non-planar entity, you will need to find an alternative method for applying current excitation to your simulation.</p><h2>4. Is there a workaround for the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error?</h2><p>Yes, there are a few workarounds that you can try if you encounter this error. One option is to create a planar approximation of your non-planar entity and apply the current excitation to that. Another option is to use a different type of excitation, such as voltage excitation, which can be applied to non-planar entities.</p><h2>5. Is there a way to prevent the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error?</h2><p>To prevent this error, make sure to only apply the current excitation feature to planar entities in Ansoft Maxwell. If you have a non-planar entity, either find a workaround or use a different type of excitation. It is also important to carefully check your geometry before applying any features to ensure that they are compatible.</p>

1. What does the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error mean?

The error means that the current excitation feature in Ansoft Maxwell cannot be applied to a non-planar entity, such as a curved surface or a non-uniform shape. This feature can only be applied to planar entities, such as flat surfaces or uniform shapes.

2. Why am I getting the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error?

You are getting this error because you are trying to apply the current excitation feature to a non-planar entity. Ansoft Maxwell only allows this feature to be applied to planar entities, so the error is indicating that the feature cannot be used in this case.

3. Can I still use the current excitation feature in Ansoft Maxwell if I have a non-planar entity?

No, the current excitation feature can only be used on planar entities in Ansoft Maxwell. If you have a non-planar entity, you will need to find an alternative method for applying current excitation to your simulation.

4. Is there a workaround for the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error?

Yes, there are a few workarounds that you can try if you encounter this error. One option is to create a planar approximation of your non-planar entity and apply the current excitation to that. Another option is to use a different type of excitation, such as voltage excitation, which can be applied to non-planar entities.

5. Is there a way to prevent the "cannot apply Current Excitation to non planar entity" error?

To prevent this error, make sure to only apply the current excitation feature to planar entities in Ansoft Maxwell. If you have a non-planar entity, either find a workaround or use a different type of excitation. It is also important to carefully check your geometry before applying any features to ensure that they are compatible.