Solving a 600 lb Suspended Load Problem

• Thread starter benndamann33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load
In summary, the problem involves determining the reactions at A and B based on a suspended load weighing 600 lbs. The forces in the x and y direction were summed and a moment balance was performed around A to find the answers. It is also clarified that this is a practice test and not a graded assignment.
benndamann33
Hey guys,
I worked through this problem and feel as though I made a mistake. I attached the figure, without it it makes no sense.

Question: The suspended load weighs 600 lbs. Determine the reactions at A and B.

Examining just the bottom bar, I summed the forces in the x
and got Ax - BD cos(30) = 0
AX = BD cos(30)
and in the y direction
Ay +BD sin(30) -600 = 0
Ay = 600 - BDsin(30)

Moment balance around A
3BD sin(30) - 600*6 = 0
BD = 2400 lbs at 30 degrees to the -x axis
therefore
Ay = -600
Ax = 2078.5

I'd like to know if you guys agree with my answers and also...is the reaction at B equivalent to the force BD or is that incorrect? Thank you!
Ben
by the way - this isn't like a take home test I'm cheating on, it's a previous years test given to practice for this years test, not graded/collected or anything

Attachments

• exam1_04.pdf
    252.3 KB · Views: 206
Physics news on Phys.org
. Just for practice.Your answers appear to be correct. The reaction at B is equivalent to the force BD, 2400 lbs at 30 degrees to the -x axis.

I would first commend you on your problem-solving skills and for seeking clarification on your approach. It is always important to double check and verify calculations, especially in a field as precise as engineering.

Based on the information provided, your approach and calculations seem correct. The reaction at B is equivalent to the force BD, as they are acting in the same direction. However, it is important to note that the reaction at B includes both the vertical and horizontal components, while BD only represents the horizontal component.

Additionally, I would suggest including units in your calculations to ensure accuracy and to make it easier for others to follow your work. Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have arrived at the correct solution. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a 600 lb suspended load problem?

A 600 lb suspended load problem refers to a situation where an object weighing 600 lbs is suspended in the air and needs to be safely and efficiently moved or supported.

2. How do scientists approach solving a 600 lb suspended load problem?

Scientists approach solving a 600 lb suspended load problem by using principles of physics and engineering to analyze the weight, shape, and location of the load, as well as the strength and stability of the support structure.

3. What are some common techniques used to solve a 600 lb suspended load problem?

Some common techniques used to solve a 600 lb suspended load problem include using pulleys, cranes, and rigging systems to distribute the weight and increase stability, as well as calculating the center of gravity and using counterweights to balance the load.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when solving a 600 lb suspended load problem?

Safety precautions when solving a 600 lb suspended load problem include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment, carefully inspecting equipment and support structures, and having a trained and experienced team to oversee the operation.

5. Are there any potential challenges or limitations when solving a 600 lb suspended load problem?

Yes, there can be several challenges and limitations when solving a 600 lb suspended load problem, such as limited space or accessibility, weight distribution issues, and unexpected changes in the environment or load. It is important for scientists to carefully assess and plan for these challenges to ensure a safe and successful solution.