Answers to questions from the book: Real Analysis by Stein

In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to teach themselves Measure Theory using the book "Real Analysis" and asking for help with the exercises. The other person suggests finding solutions online and gives their opinion on when it's appropriate to look at solutions for problems. They also mention the importance of putting effort into solving problems and considering the value of each problem in terms of gaining understanding and skills.
the_dane
Hi

I am trying to teach myself Measure Theory and I am using the book: Real Analysis by Stein and Skakarchi from Princeton.
I want to check if my answers to the questions are correct, so I am asking: Does anyone have the answers to the questions in chapter 1 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Velkom Dane :welcome:

You did google "stein real analysis solutions" I suppose ? And want more than I found e.g. here ?

BvU said:
Velkom Dane :welcome:

You did google "stein real analysis solutions" I suppose ? And want more than I found e.g. here ?

Hi.
Thank you for your help. Yes I did find this one. Not every exercise is on that link, and I wanted to do those exercises which is about proving some claims, and there is not many of those on that link. That's why I asked in here.

Thanks though

It is better to actually think of the material, then finding solutions. The more you start thinking and solving things, albeit they may be small or insignificant, is one more time your brain grows stronger. If you need solutions for Analysis, then you are doing it wrong.

Likes BvU
MidgetDwarf said:
It is better to actually think of the material, then finding solutions. The more you start thinking and solving things, albeit they may be small or insignificant, is one more time your brain grows stronger. If you need solutions for Analysis, then you are doing it wrong.

I don't know about this. Sure, ideally it would be good to solve all problems of an analysis book yourself without any help. But you only have so much time. And some problems are really tricky. So I'd say that if you searched for a solution for some time, it is ok to look a bit at the solutions.

Sure, it's not good to look at the solutions of all the problems. If you can't solve a single problem, then something is wrong. But if you have a tough problem that requires some ingenious trick that you just can't find, then I'd say look at the solution. Just be sure to actually put some effort in the problem before looking at the solution. That is the important part.

micromass said:
I don't know about this. Sure, ideally it would be good to solve all problems of an analysis book yourself without any help. But you only have so much time. And some problems are really tricky. So I'd say that if you searched for a solution for some time, it is ok to look a bit at the solutions.

Sure, it's not good to look at the solutions of all the problems. If you can't solve a single problem, then something is wrong. But if you have a tough problem that requires some ingenious trick that you just can't find, then I'd say look at the solution. Just be sure to actually put some effort in the problem before looking at the solution. That is the important part.

Add to this that not all problems are created equal. And then I'm not talking about how difficult it is to solve. I'm talking about that you will gain more out of one problem than the other. There might be very difficult problems which are just a waste of time because they don't get you any cool intuition or problem solving tool. Or there might be very easy problems which actually can cause a big landslide in your worldview. This is something to keep in mind when deciding how much time you spend on a problem and when to look at the solution.

1. What is the main focus of Real Analysis?

The main focus of Real Analysis is to study the properties of real numbers, functions, and sequences. It is concerned with understanding the fundamental concepts of calculus, such as limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. How is Real Analysis different from Calculus?

While Calculus focuses on numerical computations and applications, Real Analysis delves deeper into the theoretical foundations of these concepts. It is a more rigorous and abstract approach to understanding calculus.

3. Why is Real Analysis important?

Real Analysis is important because it provides the mathematical framework for understanding and proving theorems in various fields of science and engineering. It also serves as the basis for more advanced mathematical topics, such as complex analysis and functional analysis.

4. What are some common applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields that involve mathematical modeling. It is also used in computer science for the development of algorithms and data analysis.

5. How should one approach studying Real Analysis?

Studying Real Analysis requires a solid foundation in mathematical concepts, particularly in calculus and linear algebra. It is essential to understand the definitions and theorems thoroughly and to practice solving problems to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.