ANSYS transient thermal boundary conditions

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with defining the boundary condition at the interface between a circle and a box in ANSYS for a thermal analysis. The suggested approaches are using a convective boundary condition or a thermal contact resistance boundary condition, and consulting with an expert or referring to ANSYS documentation for guidance is recommended.
cehen
Hi all. I don't have as much experience with thermal analyses in ANSYS, and I can't quite figure out a problem that I'm working on. I'm trying to find the temperature distribution in a box that has a circle in the center. I want to define constant temperature b.c.'s at the walls and the circle has a transient heat generation rate.

My approach has been to model the box as a rectangle with a hole in the center with the conductivity, heat capacity, and density of air. I then define the circle in the center with defined conductivity, heat capacity, and density. My problem is how to define the b.c. at the interface between the circle and the box. If it was just a regular convection problem, i know how to define T-infinity and the film coefficient, but in this situation, I don't quite know how to define the heat transfer between the air in the box and the circle in the center.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Great question! It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach of modeling the box as a rectangle with a hole in the center. In order to define the boundary condition at the interface between the circle and the box, you will need to consider the heat transfer between the air in the box and the circle in the center.

One option is to use a convective boundary condition at the interface, which would take into account the heat transfer coefficient between the two regions. This can be calculated using the Nusselt number, which is dependent on the geometry and flow conditions.

Alternatively, you could use a thermal contact resistance boundary condition at the interface, which takes into account the resistance to heat transfer between the two regions. This can be determined experimentally or through theoretical calculations.

I would recommend consulting with a thermal analysis expert or referring to ANSYS documentation for specific guidance on how to define the appropriate boundary condition for your specific case.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your analysis!

1. What are transient thermal boundary conditions in ANSYS?

Transient thermal boundary conditions in ANSYS are used to simulate the behavior of a system over time, taking into account the changing temperature and heat transfer within the system. These conditions are applied to the boundaries of the system and can include heat sources, convection, and radiation.

2. How do I specify a transient thermal boundary condition in ANSYS?

To specify a transient thermal boundary condition in ANSYS, you must first define the boundary where the condition will be applied. Then, you can use the "Trans BC" command to specify the type of condition, such as temperature or heat flux, and the time-dependent function that will define its behavior over time.

3. Can I use multiple transient thermal boundary conditions in one simulation?

Yes, you can use multiple transient thermal boundary conditions in one simulation. ANSYS allows you to apply different conditions to different boundaries or even to individual faces or nodes within a boundary. This allows for a more detailed and accurate simulation of heat transfer within a system.

4. How does ANSYS handle heat transfer between different materials with transient thermal boundary conditions?

ANSYS uses its built-in heat transfer solver to accurately calculate heat transfer between different materials with transient thermal boundary conditions. The solver takes into account the thermal properties of each material, such as thermal conductivity and specific heat, to accurately simulate the heat transfer between them.

5. Can I change the transient thermal boundary conditions during a simulation?

Yes, you can change the transient thermal boundary conditions during a simulation in ANSYS. This is useful for simulating real-world scenarios where conditions may change over time, such as a cooling system turning on or off. You can use the "Trans BC, chg" command to modify the existing condition or add a new condition at a specific time step.