Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anti-virus and Internet Security Software

1. Nov 1, 2018 #1
    I used to use Kaspersky Internet Security/Total Security, but recently Best Buy has stopped selling it for some political reason. What are other software tools that are best in protecting computers from viruses and other cyber threats?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2018 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The political reason is that Kaspersky is suspected of distributing Russian malware at the behest of the Russian government. Later the NSA and GCHQ were said to have hijacked it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaspersky_Anti-Virus

4. Nov 1, 2018 #3
    Yes, I know. Now what are the best alternatives?

5. Nov 1, 2018 #4

jedishrfu

I wanted to make it clear that its wasn't some political reason but a more serious reason so that folks think twice before using it.

TechRadar has some recommendations for 2018:

https://www.techradar.com/best/best-antivirus

AVG was another contender but it too has suffered some controversies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVG_AntiVirus

6. Nov 1, 2018 #5
    Thanks for clarifying :smile:

7. Nov 1, 2018 #6

anorlunda

Supply chain security (including software) is a big headache for manufacturers.

It may become a headache for all of us with the Internet of things. How do you know that smart light bulb you bought does not contain malware? Teddy Bears sold in Germany were found to be spying on people.

8. Nov 1, 2018 #7

jedishrfu

The evil talking Teddy Ruxpin trope strikes again.

9. Nov 1, 2018 #8

Svein

Science Advisor

Windows has an adequate built-in virus scanner. I rely on that and on Malwarebytes.

10. Nov 1, 2018 #9
    Kaspersky has the ability to detect suspicious links, and block and attempt to install anything without authorization. I felt safe on the Internet using it. Does this anti-virus have the same capabilities?

11. Nov 1, 2018 #10
    What about Norton? I used it before, and considering returning to it. Others on the top list are Bitdefender and McAfee. Which one is the best?

12. Nov 1, 2018 #11

verty

Homework Helper

To the OP:

I put McAfee on my parents' machine, it seemed to be fine. It contains something called McAfee WebAdvisor for which it says:
    Hopefully that's close to what you had before.

13. Nov 1, 2018 #12

Svein

Science Advisor

At least the paid-for version of Malwarebytes has it.

14. Nov 1, 2018 #13

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think Norton does. Malwarebytes has free and fee versions but I think the free version doesn't have realtime protection.

15. Nov 1, 2018 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I have yet to try an anti-virus solution whose direct affect on the speed of my computer is not much worse than the possibility of being hit by Malware.

Norton and McAfee are awful.

Right now, I'm using BitDefender, and it seems to be OK.

16. Nov 2, 2018 #15

ChemAir

Gold Member

This is my experience as well. I'd add AVG to these two since that toolbar problem. All of them caused severe slowing down of my computer.

I do the same, with the free Malwarebytes version as needed.

17. Nov 2, 2018 #16
    I've a three-license Norton's, which seems to play nicely with Chrome and intercept potential malware okay.

Downside, it is NOT inexpensive and, IMHO, it does want a lot of clock-cycles and RAM.
    Happens this PC has 32 GB and a CPU with four twin-cores, so Norton's overheads as a percentage of system capacity are acceptably low...
    YMMV.

18. Nov 2, 2018 #17

phinds

Gold Member

I use Norton in a 4-core i7 with an SSD "C" drive and a fast hard drive. I do not notice any appreciable slowdown. I have the 5-seat version and, as has been said, it's not cheap, but amortized over my desktop, my laptop, my wife's laptop, my son's laptop, and my daughter's laptop, it's actually quite reasonable, I think.

EDIT: good grief. It's now just $35 (for one year) on Amazon, so it's not expensive after all. I was sure I paid a fair amount more, but come to think of it, I got a 3-year subscription.

19. Nov 2, 2018 #18

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I have not found much impact; Norton Security on tower-form desktop of Windows 10; and on old laptop of Windows Vista.

20. Nov 4, 2018 #19

Tom.G

Science Advisor

I'm still successfully using a seven year-old version of ZoneAlarm. It blocks (or asks about) installations, internet access by programs, programs trying to run other programs, etc. It also does anti-virus scanning of every program that is invoked, and will scan the whole system (don't recall if that is periodic or on demand). They want yearly $ for the anti-virus subscription but just running the protection does the job for me without the anti-virus, which I found annoying.

21. Nov 5, 2018 #20

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Slightly OT but...

Some years ago my wife's computer was infected with a virus which I think was called Roings that got in past Norton. It created pop up windows with adverts faster than you could actually read them so was totally pointless. Took me three days to figure out how to get rid of it. Had to use several different tools in just the right order or it would return on the next reboot.

Amazingly one advert was for a local kitchen company and we had actually been looking at one of their kitchens for our house. When I complained they just said "we have to advertise somehow". I was pleased to tell them it had just cost them an order.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted