Any good ordinary classical mechanics books?

In summary, this student is looking for advice on resources for self-study for mechanics modules of A level mathematics. He has found that online examples and worked examples are sufficient, but recommends seeking tutoring if you find the material difficult. Try searching for "edexcel worked examples" to get started.
Nanosuit
I am studying for the mechanics modules of A level mathematics under EdExcel.So far the books seemingly published to support the specifications aren't doing a very good job.The examples in the books don't tell the students how to solve problems in the exercises, which is a sheer let down.I want to know if there are any good books that i can take help from.I don't mind books that may be too advanced or that may contain more info than required here so long as they met my needs.Here are the specs:Kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane,centers of mass,work and energy, collisions, statics of rigid bodies,angular motion(from phy spec but also a part of mech, right? :P )

If you need to know the types of questions i need help for:http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/maths/pages/default.aspx

Thanks in advanced :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The examples in the books don't tell the students how to solve problems in the exercises...
Well, no, they wouldn't. You are supposed to use the physics illustrated by the examples to solve the problems.
Mind you, I haven't seen them and some resources can be pretty bad. Have you checked to see how the others in your course are coping with the problem.

Here are the specs:Kinematics of a particle moving in a straight line or plane,centers of mass,work and energy, collisions, statics of rigid bodies,angular motion(from phy spec but also a part of mech, right? :P )
This is such a common request that I'm tempted just to write my own.
Anyway - for these subjects, you can find worked examples online easily enough.
In fact - googling for "edexcel worked examples" got me a whole lot of youtube videos.
Probably not worth paying for a new book.

"mech" = mechanics? it's a field in physics.
niggle: you write well - your work will read better if you put a space after all the punctuation marks that sit on the line ... look at how I have used spaces with punctuation in this reply for example.

Simon Bridge said:
Well, no, they wouldn't. You are supposed to use the physics illustrated by the examples to solve the problems.
Mind you, I haven't seen them and some resources can be pretty bad. Have you checked to see how the others in your course are coping with the problem.

This is such a common request that I'm tempted just to write my own.
Anyway - for these subjects, you can find worked examples online easily enough.
In fact - googling for "edexcel worked examples" got me a whole lot of youtube videos.
Probably not worth paying for a new book.

I am self-taught.Others have tutors, so they don't face much problems.

The book has examples, actually 'example', on center of mass toppling problems but the exercises include problems that are tougher, like, 'an extra mass M is added to point C to help the lamina stay in equilibrium.Find the value of M'. The example shows how to do the math up to the toppling point but says nothing about how to tackle when the above sort of questions come in.

And thanks for the advice :smile:

Nanosuit said:
I am self-taught. Others have tutors, so they don't face much problems.
Self teaching is tricky - you would be well advised to get a tutor of your own.

The book has examples, actually 'example', on center of mass toppling problems but the exercises include problems that are tougher, like, 'an extra mass M is added to point C to help the lamina stay in equilibrium.Find the value of M'. The example shows how to do the math up to the toppling point but says nothing about how to tackle when the above sort of questions come in.
That is pretty much what all textbooks do though: they provide exercises that vary the situation from the examples. You are supposed to use your understanding of the physics to work out what difference the variation makes. i.e. in your example, the extra mass may change the location of the center of gravity - maybe provide a counter-torque to the applied force. If you have understood the material on toppling objects over then you should realize that.

OTOH: the resources you are using are not designed for self-study - so there is nothing to redirect you if you don't understand the material. Thus you are doing the right thing looking for extra material to help you: a tutor would be able to tailor the material to suit you.

If you feel you learn well from worked examples then try something like:
http://www.solvephysics.com/

Attempt the problems before looking at the answers - when you see the answers, try to figure why they chose the method they did, and, where they had to make some assumptions, what clues were in the question that makes those assumptions reasonable.

Nanosuit said:
... statics of rigid bodies...

Here is one devoted to statics of shells, with several examples, and, essentially, with lots of source codes in C/C++, that deliver numerical solutions. The book also contains analytical solutions of the same set of examples, so there is a lot to learn from comparing the two sets of solutions.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646594044/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Any good ordinary classical mechanics books?

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and behavior of macroscopic objects, such as particles, bodies, and systems, under the influence of forces.

2. What are some good books to learn classical mechanics?

Some popular and highly recommended books for learning classical mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin, and "An Introduction to Mechanics" by Daniel Kleppner and Robert Kolenkow.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying classical mechanics?

A basic understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is essential for studying classical mechanics. It is also helpful to have some knowledge of vector analysis and Newton's laws of motion.

4. Can classical mechanics be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, classical mechanics has been successfully applied to various real-world situations, such as the motion of planets, the behavior of fluids, and the motion of objects on Earth. It is also the basis for many engineering and technological advancements.

5. Is classical mechanics still relevant in modern physics?

Yes, classical mechanics is still a fundamental framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of macroscopic objects. It is also a necessary foundation for more advanced theories, such as quantum mechanics and relativity.