1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro Physics Any suggestions on books? (Physics & Engineering)

1. Jun 29, 2016 #1
    I just finished my A levels in math's/physics. I decided to take a year out before I start an engineering degree. I'm looking for books to study on my work break's and any down time I get.

I was looking at the 'Physics for Scientists and Engineers' by authors like Feynman and Serway. They can be expensive but I don't mind spending the money as long as I know I'm getting the right information.

Could anyone tell me if I'm on the right track or If there are any books that would cover most of the average engineering curriculum?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 29, 2016 #2
    What branch of engineering? Mechanical, electrical, computer, chemical, environmental, etc. engineering all have vastly different curricula.

As far as physics and mathematics you might need, I do have some recommendations.

You should study linear algebra soon no matter what field you go into. My current favorite recommendation there is David C. Lay's text. The third edition is fine, and much cheaper used than more recent editions.

I've always liked George B. Thomas' calculus texts. Any edition since and including the 1968 edition are quite good.

For physics, I'm finding Shankar's Fundamentals of Physics to be an excellent recommendation to people I've helped recently. Shankar has video lectures posted online, and the book's site has exercises posted in PDFs of course materials.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted