Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anyone else been a victim of identity theft?

1. Oct 7, 2011 #1
    I just found out someone in my city signed up for phone service using my SS#. I owed $120. I got it cleared up, but it's scary. What else can they do!? :frown:

I thinking of signing up at http://www.lifelock.com Anyone have opinions of that service?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Re: Anyone else been a victim of identity left?

Oh dear, if they have your soc sec# there is a lot they can do, open bank accounts, get credit cards, take out loans, buy cars...

I believe that you already have the service that notifies you of any time your credit is checked?

Not familiar with lifelock.

Ick. Maybe they're more honest now?

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2010/03/ftc_lifelock.html

The article is taken from the US Gov website.

http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2010/03/lifelock.shtm

4. Oct 7, 2011 #3

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Immeadiately contact [STRIKE]all three[/STRIKE] one of the credit bureaus and file a fraud alert. I'll try to get more details but this is the absolute first thing that you should do. From what I've read in the past, Lifelock doesn't do much more if you're a victim of fraud.

5. Oct 7, 2011 #4

turbo

Gold Member

I'd hate to be a victim of identity left!!!

I have left a lot of situations over the years, but never my identity.

6. Oct 7, 2011 #5

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's happened to several acquaintances of mine, fortunately not me (worst case was a former teacher of my daughter's who opened a boutique clothing store; the store website was hacked and all business accounts accessed). This provoked me, after resisting an 'overly worried' approach to life, to get shredder and shred all mail, documents etc. that contain any identifying information besides name and address.

Beyond that, I can only agree with the suggestions so far.

7. Oct 7, 2011 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's the link to the government's https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp" link on the right has this info:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  8. Oct 7, 2011 #7

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is also a good idea to regularly check your credit. Anyone can check their credit report for free once per year per bureau. Instead of checking them all at once, I check one of the three every four months. However, if you file a fraud alert, you may be allowed more. From what I read, it allows you to get a credit report immeadiately even if you already had received one that year. The links in the FTC identity theft section have lots of good advice. The best advice is to strike back fast and hard - they will keep using your info otherwise.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/freereports/index.shtml" site above

FTC info about http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/microsites/idtheft/".

Another thing that I would think about is whether you might have had personal information stolen from someplace like Sony. If that's the case, there could be multiple people with your information.

Good luck Greg. Hopefully you caught this early.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  9. Oct 7, 2011 #8

Thanks all! I've placed a Fraud Alert on my file. Hopefully it was just a quick hit and run.

10. Oct 7, 2011 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The most worrying thing they can do (and probably will, if they are serious fraudsters) is change your address, so you don't receive any mail that makes you suspicious.

Of course they won't change it to THEIR real address - most likely, to some property that is long-term unoccupied. After all, they don't plan to pay any of the bills themselves either.

11. Oct 7, 2011 #10

I have. I used to be Warren Buffet until some lowlife took off with my identity.

12. Oct 7, 2011 #11

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

A long time ago, when I was a grad student, someone who lived briefly in the apartment next door to me used my name to sign up for service with the electric company, and I started to get his bills. When my office-mates told me that a big beefy guy had been looking for me, I thought, "uh-oh, a bill collector!" Fortunately it was just one of my students looking for help with homework. And the electric company apparently believed me when I wrote to them explaining that I was in apartment 2B, not 2A.

(As I recall, the electric service for my apartment was in my roommate's name, not mine.)

13. Oct 7, 2011 #12

I never give out my birthdate or SSN unless it's absolutely required by law, as in a bank account. Used to be everyone would ask you for this information, but most organizations are realizing it's none of their business, particularly with SSNs.

14. Oct 7, 2011 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The irony here of course, is that Greg is actually on a slow boat to China, with no internet access, and has been for a week.

So the thief has not just signed up for a phone service but also hacked into his PF account and is now posting about it.

What we should do (and I know Greg will thank us when he arrives back home) is ban this imposter.

He will, of course, protest loudly that no, he really is Greg, but we will not be fooled by that.

15. Oct 7, 2011 #14

rhody

Gold Member

Can't say for sure Greg, I had a long time friend who I know longer associate with who swears by Lifelock. I have had two minor incidents, with debit card charges, the safest thing to do, is to have a debit account with say 200 - 500 bucks in there, that way they can never get at an account with more. I have been lucky too, but as the world's economies get worse this will happen more often, of that prediction, I am sure.
    Amex is good too, but many business no longer accept it. I bought some expensive jewelry in Jamaica a few years back with Amex. I am so glad I did, use Amex if you can for anything you buy from a foreign country over the internet. They will credit you right away if they try to charge you for something you didn't buy. Amex handles it all, and your card is credited.

Borg,

I have been told if you check on your credit score without justifiable cause can lower your credit rating, is there any truth to this, or is it as they say, "an old wives tale" ?

Rhody... :wink:

16. Oct 7, 2011 #15

Danger

Gold Member

I'm ambidextrous, so I'm half safe; I've been the victim only of "identity right". So far, my left is okay. (And people thought that I was nuts for keeping two separate bank accounts... :rolleyes:)

edit: Greg, you bastard... does owning this site really make you feel comfortable with editing your thread title to the detriment of we who were deriding you about it? :tongue:

17. Oct 7, 2011 #16
    The latest victims, it was reported in the newspaper recently, are children. As a child has no use of their SSN until about 16 years of age the theft will most likely go undetected for years, at which point they find their credit rating has gone way south.

In fact, a 6 year old received a credit card in the mail a few months back in Montreal area. How to protect - I have no idea except to try to keep personnal information safe and secure as possible. And do not make a text list on your computer in Excel or likewise progams of personnal information if that computer is internet connected as bots look for that stuff.

18. Oct 7, 2011 #17
    Oh I am glad our Overlord got this cleared up before the thief realized His true powers !

19. Oct 7, 2011 #18

Danger

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

20. Oct 8, 2011 #19

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Rhody,

My understanding is that it doesn't affect your score. You might be thinking of credit checks done by a business such as when you apply for a car loan. Those do affect your score and they show up on the report in a separate section.

BTW, I have seen occasional pings from companies that I do business with. I have called them on those occasions and have been given various excuses for why they do it. However, if I see a ping from a company that I've never done business with, I would immeadiately contact their fraud department.

Borg

21. Oct 8, 2011 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

hmmm...so that's why I've lost all of my PF PMs!:devil::biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook